The number of registered internet banking customers declined by 4.77% to 970,435 in 2021, compared to 2020, the Payment Systems Oversight Annual Report of the Bank of Ghana has revealed.
Registered mobile banking customers also decreased to 4.062 million in 2021, from 4.767 million in 2020.
The value of internet banking transactions, however, increased significantly by 132.30% to ¢56.24 billion in 2021.
Mobile Banking transaction value was ¢26.11 billion in 2021 compared with ¢12.94 billion in 2020 representing a growth of 101.78%.
Automated Teller Machines and Points of Sales
The report stated that the number of ATMs deployed by banks as of the end of December 2021 was 2,278 representing an increase of 1.83% over the 2020 position.
The number of POS terminals deployed also went up by 20.54% to 12,643 in December 2021, from 10,489 at end-December 2020.
The total number of debit cards issued by banks as of December 2021 was 4.936 million, an increase of 2.56% over the position in 2020.
International scheme cards at end-December 2021, was 3,647,285, and represented 73.89% of the total issued debit cards, compared with banks proprietary cards of 1,288,961, which constituted 26.11% of the total issued debit cards.
The international scheme cards increased by 2.56%, while banks own proprietary cards decreased by 21.62% in 2021.
The number of credit cards issued as at the end of December 2021 increased to 36,237 cards in 2021, from 33,039 cards in December 2020.
The increase in the number of credit cards issued was on account of additional banks authorised by the Bank of Ghana to issue credit cards. All the credit cards issued were international scheme cards.
- MP for Kumawu, Philip Basoah is dead
- ‘Why approve the man who caused me such pain?’ Sam George questions Minority MP colleagues
- Gold Mafia: Gold smuggler sneaks $40 million worth of gold out of Ghana every month
- Speaker slams Kamala Harris’ take on LGBTQ+ in Ghana, calls out Akufo-Addo
- Sights and sounds: Akufo-Addo hosts Kamala Harris at banquet
- Armed police officers and soldiers clash in Accra central as traders run for their lives
- Black Stars: 5 things we learned from the two games against Angola
- Playback: Kamala Harris addressed Ghanaians from Black Star Square
- ‘It was too big a risk to start him’- Hughton on Thomas Partey against Angola
- Treason trial: Court demands death certificate of Dr Mac-Palm
- Why Ebo Whyte’s ‘Just The Tip’ is a ‘maybe’
- You can’t intervene in anti-LGBTQ+ bill; you’re not in charge – Bagbin tells Akufo-Addo
- Tarkwa Rotary Club conducts medical screening for inmates of Tarkwa prisons
- The stories of slavery must be told – US Vice President after visiting Cape Coast Castle
- GhLA CEO Hayford Siaw honoured by global philanthropy organisation, Reach for Change
- World Water Day: Youth engagement maximized to achieve SDG 6
- Livestream: PM Express discusses US-Ghana relations
- Hey please! I am in charge – Bagbin tells Akufo-Addo over anti-LGBTQ+ bill
- Bole-Bamboi MP calls for rerun of the election that approved six ministerial nominees
- ‘He devoted himself to the Danquah-Dombo-Busia tradition’ – Akufo-Addo eulogises late Kumawu MP
- ECG disconnects Ghana Post Accra branch over GH¢89,000 debt
- Students have still not reported to school despite free SHS – Ashanti Region GES
- We have a very good candidate in Dr. Duffour – Fritz Bafour
- Division One: Heart of Lions extend Zone 3 lead to 15 points
- Kejetia market fire: Traders warned to desist from forceful opening of shops