Audio By Carbonatix
Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta says he will present the 2023 Budget in Parliament next week.
The Minister’s comment is coming at a time when some Majority MPs have threatened to boycott the 2023 budget statement if he (Finance Minister) is not sacked.
In an interview with JoyNews’ Parliamentary Correspondent, Kwaku Asante shortly after he had testified before the Adhoc Committee hearing the censure motion, Ken Ofori-Atta said “yeah, expect so. That seems to be a weird question.”
The Journalist asked whether he will be the one to present the 2023 budget.
According to Ken Ofori-Atta, although the hearing so far has been cumbersome, he believes it is “democracy in play.”
I asked Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta if he expects to be the one to present the 2023 budget next week, he said he "expects so" despite 98 MPs from his party warning they will boycott if he's the one to do the presentation. #KenMustGo #JoyNews pic.twitter.com/3pq0PFxt8O
— Kwaku Asante (@kwakuasanteb) November 18, 2022
It would be recalled that the NPP MPs in a press conference on Tuesday, October 25 stated that they are displeased with the management of the economy under Ken Ofori-Atta.
“It’s not only the budget that we will boycott, we will no longer be a part of any government business. That is the position we have taken. It starts from now,” leader of the rebel NPP MPs, Andy Appiah-Kubi, said.
“Ofori-Atta is not the only one with knowledge, he must go. I can assure you, we will not backtrack on our decision. If the President refuses to sack him, it’s up to him,” he added.
According to Deputy Majority Leader, Alexander Afenyo-Markin, the 2023 budget statement will be presented on November 24. The budget was earlier scheduled to be presented on November 15,2022.
But the Effutu MP said the postponement is due to “unforeseen development.”
“The Minister responsible for Finance on the authority of the President of the Republic, is scheduled to present the budget statement for the year ending 31st December, 2023 in accordance with Article 179 of the 1992 Constitution on Thursday the 24th of November, 2022,” he said on the floor of the House.
Mr. Ken Ofori-Atta on Friday appeared before the Adhoc Committee hearing the censure motion as a witness to give his testimony on the allegations on which the Minority wants him out of office.
The Minister apologised to Ghanaians for the hardship being suffered in recent times but denied claims of mismanaging the economy and subjecting Ghanaians to the economic woes.
Latest Stories
-
GRIDCo restores power nationwide after August 20 blackout, says grid strengthening measures ongoing
7 minutes -
Journalism must prioritise public interest over attention — Kwesi Pratt
43 minutes -
Ghana Mineworkers Union demand suspension of contract mining directive, threaten industrial action
1 hour -
ADB Ghana Medicals constructing and equipping new Cardiothoracic Centre at Komfo Anokye
1 hour -
AFREIKH Summer School challenges Africa to harness critical minerals
1 hour -
Government plans 2,000-acre pharmaceutical innovation park in Osudoku to boost local drug production
1 hour -
Partey undergoes medical ahead of Al Shabab move in Saudi Arabia
2 hours -
Today’s front pages: Friday, August 21, 2026
2 hours -
Power outages could drive up cost of digital services — NITA
2 hours -
Patients face basic sanitation gaps in West African health facilities — WHO / UNICEF
2 hours -
Competence has no age; let’s stop punishing new businesses
2 hours -
JoyNews Republic Bank Habitat Fair 2026 opens today at Achimota Mall
2 hours -
What Is Wrong With Us: The roads that keep counting our dead
2 hours -
MTN condemns recent xenophobic attacks on Ghanaians in South Africa
2 hours -
Philip Nai: What happens at your front desk can make or break your brand
3 hours