Songstress, Obaapa Christy, has won the Best Gospel Artiste of the Year at the first National Gospel Music Awards held Sunday night in Kumasi.
She held her own against stiff competition from the likes of OJ, Joe Mettle, Akesse Brimpong, Gifty Osei, Diana Antwi Hamilton and Brother Sammy.
Obaaba Christy also won Female Vocalist of the Year and her song ‘Hyebre sesafo’ won her the Best Gospel Song of the Year.
‘Onwanwani’ by Vodafone Ghana Music Award Artiste of the Year, Joe mettle, was adjudged the best Male Worship Song of the Year.
Sonny Badu took home the Best African Gospel, with ‘Wonder God’.
Jack Alolome took two awards; Best Contemporary Gospel Album and Best Collaboration with Princess Ifeoma.
To cap it all, the man who is regarded as the originator of Ghana Gospel music, Professor Kofi Abraham, was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award.
In all, there were 30 categories of awards organized by Royal Akofena Entertainment in collaboration with The Multimedia Group Limited, Kumasi.
Other award winners are as follows:
New Artiste of the Year-Patience Nyarko
Best Praise Song of the Year—Monko Moakyi by Joyce Blessing
Best Traditional Song of the year—-Change Over by Mary Agyemang-Change Over
Discovery of the Year—Mabel Okyere
Best Worship Video—Brother Sammy (Sakra Wiem)
Best Worship Song— Sammy Baah
Best Acapella—Alabaster Box
Best Male Vocalist—Ernest Opoku
Best Gospel Group— Willie and Mike
Lifetime Achievement Award—Prof. Kofi Abraham.
Watch more photos below:
- ECG’s IT department resisting checks and balance moves by MD – Kwadwo Poku
- Scores of residents displaced, others trapped as Weija, Oblogo and Tetegu flood
- Mankessim murder: We didn’t commit crime with mason; he only dug hole for burying a victim – Chief
- Watch Daddy Lumba break down his hit song ‘Yene Wo Sere Kwa’
- NSMQ 2022 launched; fixtures for preliminary stage released
- ‘I have unfinished business with Black Stars’ – Milovan Rajevac
- I am still receiving threats from people on social media – KiDi
- Kwesi Yankah: Dear Ace Ankomah, the Birim River is gone
- Exclusive photos: Hundreds rendered homeless at Ashalaja
- The viral lynching that was to end Nigeria’s mob justice
- Our leaders are either complicit or incompetent – Ken Ashigbey on galamsey
- I’m not expecting much from Hearts of Oak in Africa because of inconsistency – Amankwa Mireku
- We’re long past the state of emergency – Kofi Bentil on galamsey
- Elon Musk Twitter deal back on in surprise U-turn
- Police on manhunt for man flogging toddler in viral video
- I’m a record-breaker, but they hate to project it – Zahara says of critics
- I am grateful to Asantehene and other chiefs for protecting Dr. Bawumia – Nayiri
- Nigerian child killed in ‘bullet-proof’ charm test
- 95% of human trafficking survivors in shelter homes are Nigerians – Gender Ministry
- From the streets to Mandela’s feet – Zahara tells her story
- Small Scale Miners unhappy with Lands Ministry handling of Wontumi’s mining firm
- Livestream: PM Express discusses ‘Galamsey’
- The Countess of Wessex visits DRC to show urgent need to tackle sexual violence in conflict
- 843 KNUST Mastercard Foundation scholars benefit from short courses
- Your directive to SIGA D-G unnecessary – Clement Apaak tells Akufo-Addo