In the last few weeks, three journalists have been arrested and subsequently prosecuted by the police for various alleged offenses.
Onua TV’s Morning Show host, Blessed Godsbrain Smart, was detained by National Security Operatives after he had been granted bail by the court following his arrest over extortion.
He was detained along with another staff, Eric Dadzie Copperfield, popularly called DJ GH Boy who is also facing charges of abetment to extort.
On February 8, 2022, a journalist with Power FM, Oheneba Boamah Bennie, was handed a 14 days jail term for threatening and insulting President Akufo-Addo.
Also, Accra FM’s Bobie Ansah, who accused First Lady, Rebecca Akufo-Addo of theft, was picked up by persons purported to be National Security Operatives and has been charged with the publication of false news and offensive conduct.
Today on Newsfile, host, Samson Lardy Anyenini and his panelists found out whether the surge in the apprehension of journalists is due to excesses of free speech or a lack of regulation in the media.
Also, the show looked at claims by MP for Madina, Francis-Xavier Sosu, that judges in the country operate under heavy political influence.
During the NDC “Yentua” demonstration against the E-levy, Mr Sosu cautioned judges to desist from being biased and political in the discharge of their duties.
In response, the Ghana Bar Association (GBA) has referred to the MP’s remarks as ‘ignorant’ and ‘irresponsible’, with the possibility of courting disaffection for the judges and exposing them to danger.
- Jackie Appiah trends on Twitter as video of posh Trassaco mansion pops up
- Drama as Nigerian lawyer dresses as native doctor to Supreme Court
- Social media users troll Shatta Wale over Jackie Appiah’s mansion
- Scores injured in accident on Accra-Kumasi highway
- Finance Minister accounted for less than 50% of Covid-19 expenditure – Dr. Asiedu
- National Cathedral: Lies are being told to cause disaffection – John Kumah
- Enimil Ashon: Osafo Maafo taking NPP to opposition?￼￼
- 18 dead in mass break-in to Spanish enclave
- Empress Gifty’s grandmother passes on
- Playback: Newsfile discusses accountability surrounding National Cathedral, Covid-19 expenditure
2022 MTN FA Cup final: the five key players to watch
Take steps to prevent torture during operations – CHRAJ to Security Agencies
Tonto Dikeh nominated as running mate to Rivers State governorship candidate
Make youth development in peace a priority – UN Peace Ambassador to African leaders
Social media users troll Shatta Wale over Jackie Appiah’s mansion
Scores injured in accident on Accra-Kumasi highway
National Cathedral: Board of Trustees must also be blamed for infractions – Antwi-Bosiako
Over 1000 Nigeriens repatriated – Gender Ministry
Finance Minister accounted for less than 50% of Covid-19 expenditure – Dr. Asiedu
All issues raised about National Cathedral will be addressed – Dr John Kumah
National Cathedral: Lies are being told to cause disaffection – John Kumah
Suspects held over Nigeria church massacre
Uncle Ebo’s ‘I slept with your wife’ shows today at the National Theatre
National Cathedral: Let us explore $50m cost option – Martin Kpebu
National Cathedral construction should not be under Monuments Board – Martin Kpebu