Audio By Carbonatix
The police administration is losing patience with flag bearers of political parties and running mates over the delay in choosing their security detail ahead of the 2016 elections.
The administration warns it would have no choice but to impose the security detail on the flag bearers who have so far failed to take advantage of the security arrangement being offered.
The police, as part of arrangements towards organizing a peaceful, incident free election, have decided to provide security to political party flag bearers and their running mates.
At a meeting with political party representatives, the police suggested that the political parties were free to choose from the army of police personnel who they could trust to protect them.
Several weeks after that meeting the political parties have failed to take advantage of the offer.
Only recently, three retired South African police men were brought into the country by the NPP ostensibly to train personal body guards for the opposition leader.
This may perhaps have gotten the police disappointed because the NPP together with the other opposition political parties have failed to take advantage of the police offer.
At an IEA Forum in Accra, Wednesday, the police did not fail to criticize the political parties for their indecision.
Director of Operations of the police Dr Benjamin Agbodzor was shocked the political parties have failed to take advantage of the policy.
He said in 2012, the same policy was applied, only that it came later in October.
Dr Agbozo said the IGP has decided that the policy will be implemented earlier than usual and has given the political parties at the end of May to choose or the police will impose personnel on them.
Reacting to the threat by the Police Director, the Campaign manager of the NPP, Peter Mac Manu told Joy News the party is still considering the offer will respond by end of May.
There are fears any choice by the political parties will lead to the labeling of the chosen personnel either as an affiliate of the NPP, CPP or any of the other parties.
Peter Mac Manu shared similar concerns but said the party will still have to choose a personnel it trust to protect its flagbearer.
Atiq Mohammed of the PNC commended the IGP for the innovation and added the party will soon take a decision on the party.
Latest Stories
-
Why Afrobeats artistes shouldn’t stick to what fans like – Rema
5 minutes -
Ghana Water Limited clarifies mandate over river turbidity data
8 minutes -
Oil climbs as fading US-Iran peace hopes raise supply risks
14 minutes -
Gold extends gains on easing rate-hike fears, markets await Fed minutes
23 minutes -
Nvidia to provide up to $105 billion guarantee for OpenAI’s Ohio data center
32 minutes -
Anthropic revenue run rate tops $65 billion, source says
43 minutes -
Tesla prepares for Cybercab launch in August starting with rides to employees
51 minutes -
Google to buy Spirit Airlines business data for $10 million
60 minutes -
The goat is now a celebrity – how this graduation gift went viral
1 hour -
Jason Arday’s family ‘still coming to terms’ with his death as vigil held
1 hour -
Namibia, Ghana eye strategic bilateral cooperation in Volta Region
1 hour -
Jasikan midwives deliver baby at roadside
2 hours -
Police arrest 14 suspected narcotic plant farmers at Daliga
2 hours -
Call off strike, give us one month to resolve payment issues – Education Minister appeals to GAUA
3 hours -
Cagliari’s Trepy in intensive care after pool incident
3 hours