President Nana Akufo-Addo, left Ghana on Sunday to lead the Ghanaian delegation to the 53rd Ordinary Session of the Authority of ECOWAS Heads of State and Government, which is being held in Lome, Togo.
The meeting of the Heads of State will take place from July, 30-31 and will, amongst others, witness the election of a new Chairperson of ECOWAS.
President Akufo-Addo was accompanied by the Minister for Foreign Affairs, Shirley Ayorkor Botchway and officials of the Presidency and the Foreign Ministry.
The President will return to Ghana on Tuesday and, in his absence, the Vice President, Alhaji Dr MahamuduBawumia, shall, in accordance with Article 60(8) of the Constitution, act in his stead.
In a related development, a group of Togolese nationals in Ghana calling itself DFDwants ECOWAS to stop Togolese President Faure Gnassingbe from contesting in the next election.
Speaking at a news conference in Accra Sunday, Advisor of the Group, Ridwan Seidu, expressed the group’s disappointment over ECOWAS’ inability to intervene in the political crisis in Togo.
DFD wants ECOWAS to step in and end the Gnassinge dynasty.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Parliament recalled to pass Companies Bill
- SA xenophobic attackers must be prosecuted – Okudzeto urges int’l community
- Minority to trigger process for Osafo Maafo’s removal
- Collins Dauda reduced Parliament’s approved Saglemi contract – Atta-Akyea
- Gov't lacks strategic policy in dealing with China - Lecturer
- Deporting 'Galamsey Queen': Ablakwa spreads blame
- OccupyGhana 'highly disappointed' by Osafo-Maafo comments on Aisha Huang
- Politics is not religion… - Free Zones boss wants a paradigm shift
- Parliament postpones stakeholder engagement on Vigilante Bill
- 'I've never been against free SHS' – Mahama to Bawumia
- 'He is an Esau!'- NDC castigates Akufo-Addo for 'betraying' galamsey fight
- Politicians are like prostitutes claiming to be virgins – Man goes wild at business summit
- Mahama presents over 20 vehicles to NDC
- Hot Audio: Even without free SHS you couldn't deliver – Bawumia to Mahama
- Free SHS has been good for North, will be good for all of Ghana – Bawumia