Dr. John Koku Awoonor- Williams, Upper East Regional Director of Health Services has said poor hygiene was to blame for Ghana’s many diseases.
He indicated that the huge annual government health bill could be reduced drastically if Ghanaians learnt how to keep their environment clean.
The Regional Director who was commending three organisations for embarking on clean up exercises in the Bolgatanga Municipality, bemoaned the spate of littering especially sachet water and polythene bags in the Municipality which “was posing a big threat to public health.
Saeed Froko Film Production, Timberland Ventures and Zoomlion Company Limited had embarked on a clean-up exercise in the Bolgatanga Municipality.
He cited developing countries including Burkina Faso and Zimbabwe which attached more importance to good environmental practices and said there was the need to emulate such countries.
Whilst commending the three organizations, he entreated other organizations including workers and the members of public to cultivate the habit of cleanliness to help prevent diseases.
The Director of Saeed Froko Film Production, Mr. Saeed Froko said his outfit was embarking on the clean-up exercise as part of its social responsibility and said it would be regular in the nine Districts in the Region.
He observed that majority of people were losing their lives because of common environmental diseases and called for the sensitization of communities to keep the environment clean to avert diseases.
Mr. Mohammed Latekebia, the Director of Timberland Ventures, pledged his outfit readiness to fund the exercise because it was its goal to ensure that the vision of government to get rid of filth was achieved.
“A health population is a wealthy nation and getting the rid of filth should not be the sole responsibility of Government.”
- Nigerian jailbreakers re-arrested in Ghana after crossing Volta River
- I asked Akufo-Addo to forgive me for opposing Bawumia as running mate – Ama Busia
- Akuapem Poloo’s child is with me, he doesn’t know what is going on – Actress’ lawyer
- NDC must focus on healing the horse, not selecting a rider – Kunbour
- 12 leading clubs confirm formation and format for breakaway Super League
- Whether dumsor is back or not, current power outages must be resolved immediately – Prof Adei
- ‘A tenant may be evicted for a month’s arrears’ – Rent Control
- 7 times Ghana has beaten Nigeria to the prize
- Attorney General supports my motion for appeal – Lawyer for Akuapem Poloo reveals
- Second dose of Covid-19 vaccine can be taken 4 weeks after the deadline stated – GHS
Fire razes over 30 shops at Kumasi Central Market
Afienya, Ashaiman, Katamanso and other areas in Accra to have interrupted supply – Water Company
2 drug traffickers excrete 191 pellets of cocaine, heroin at Nigerian airport
Japan Motors launches New Nissan Sunny in Ghana
Security man in trouble for allegedly defiling 4-year-old girl
NIC commends Allianz Insurance and UBA on bancassurance partnership
WHO data shows taking vaccines 12 weeks after first dose more potent – Dr Kwame Amponsah-Achiano
Landlords who demand over 6 months rent advance from tenants could be jailed – Rent Control
2021 global food policy report: Rebuilding food systems after Covid-19
Dr Theresa Mannah-Blankson and Haruna Alhassan: Ghana’s post-pandemic Eurobond ‘success’
eTranzact secures Enhanced PSP license from BoG
Man remanded for defiling 3-year-old girl
Linda Dor stopover becomes hell for passengers as thieves raid VIP bus
Government interest costs on domestic borrowings fall again; T-Bills target also drops 6.6%
National Peace Council commends GAF for ensuring peace during elections 2020