Audio By Carbonatix
Five masked armed robbers have reportedly attacked over 40 passengers travelling from Takoradi in the Western Region to Kumasi in the Ashanti Region.
A victim of the incident, Ekua, said the VIP bus with registration number GT 5795-16 set off from the Abenbebon Station at Apremdo, Takoradi at around 10:30 pm on Sunday.
However, in the wee hours of Monday, they were ambushed by the armed men and robbed of their belongings.
“At around 3:30 am on Monday, February 21, 2022, about five armed robbers with rifles and other weapons attacked us and made away with our monies and other belongings. All of them were wearing masks,” she narrated.
She added that the armed robbers, after the robbery, asked them to seek divine intervention on their behalf.
“After the robbery, they asked us to pray for them because it was not their will to stop vehicles on the highway and rob passengers of their belongings but the system has compelled them to do so,” she added.
Another victim of the robbery incident said the suspects made away with his bag containing an amount of GH¢8,500.
“I’m a driver and I was going to buy an engine for my vehicle in Kumasi. My Mobile Money phone was last week stolen by another set of armed robbers at Kintampo so I decided to carry the money in my bag but unfortunately, I have been robbed again,” he added as reported by 3news.
The passengers were stranded at the Anwiankwanta Police Station, where an official complaint had been lodged.
The driver of the vehicle, Agya Owusu, disclosed that there was nothing he could have done to save the situation.
“When I got to Fomena, I saw a driver alerting me with his light that there was danger on the road. I became confused and stopped the vehicle for about five minutes. I realised no vehicle was coming again so I decided to continue my journey.
“When I moved forward for some minutes, I saw a Sprinter bus on the road with passengers lying on the ground. This is where I realised armed robbers were on the road. There was nothing I could do again because they were very close. They attacked us and took all our monies. They took my GH¢3,400,” the driver said.
Latest Stories
-
NATARAJ Art competition inspires young creativity in Ghana
1 hour -
Ebola vaccine could take nine months as death toll rises further, WHO warns
2 hours -
Money can be traced in GIIF ‘Sky Train’ case – Kow Essuman fires back at Deputy AG
2 hours -
25/26 UEFA Europa League: Unai Emery leads Aston Villa to first European trophy in 44 years
2 hours -
Southampton lose appeal against play-off expulsion
2 hours -
SkySat Technologies, Konica Minolta launch VIP Experience in Accra
2 hours -
Africa’s capital must power digital innovation and infrastructure – KGL Group Chair
2 hours -
Policy rate cuts won’t spur growth without cheaper bank loans – Economist
3 hours -
OBZ Group founder urges regulation of fuel sales in galamsey communities
3 hours -
Closure of Kaneshie footbridge forces traders, commuters to risk crossing highway daily
3 hours -
World Bank mission team pays courtesy call on Gender Minister
3 hours -
Aggrieved customers threaten fresh protests at Finance Ministry over unpaid locked up funds
4 hours -
‘Did Mahama lie his way to power?’ – Gold Coast Customers react to compensation delay
4 hours -
“We don’t have the money to pay” – Finance Minister tells financial sector victims
4 hours -
ORAL: Prosecution closes its case in Skytrain trial
4 hours