Social media has been buzzing since a photo of Achimota School’s potential team for this year’s National Science and Maths Quiz (NSMQ) surfaced on Friday, June 2.
Conspicuously visible among the students was Tyrone Marhguy, a young man who found himself at the center of a controversy that shook the education sector two years ago.
Tyrone was spotted in the social media post depicting Achimota School’s trial session ahead of the 2023 NSMQ season.
#AchimotaAt96 🎹 Last month, our @nsmqghana team participated in a Trial session as we prepare for the upcoming quiz season.— Achimota School (@AchimotaSchool) June 2, 2023
We encourage all members of our community to reach out to the team and help equip them for a successful season. pic.twitter.com/dyVTDMVoGR
Here is why this communique is interesting.
He was one of two boys who cried foul because the school had denied them admission, citing their hairstyle as a violation of the school’s code of conduct.
The Rastafarian students dragged the Achimota School Board of Governors, the Minister of Education, Ghana Education Service, and the Attorney General to court for refusing to enroll them. Achimota School insisted that they comply with the school’s regulations by shaving their dreadlocks.
On May 31, 2021, a High Court ruling directed the school to admit the students.
However, his colleague, Oheneba Kwaku Nkrabea, enrolled at Ghana International School on a scholarship.
In June 2021, following the court ruling, Tyrone Marhguy went to Achimota School and sat for his end-of-term examination just hours after being enrolled.
On the back of the latest development, social media users appear to be reeling over the possibility of this narrative developing into a ‘zero-to-hero’ story as the national quiz takes off soon.
This is not the first time Tyrone has been associated with the school’s NSMQ team.
He was also spotted among the team last year which sparked another conversation regarding his participation.
Find more reactions below:
I have no words at all! If you know the backstory, you’ll be surprised at this turn of events at Achimota School.— MacJordan (@MacJordaN) June 2, 2023
Big ups Tyrone Marhguy. ✊🏾✊🏾✊🏾 pic.twitter.com/m3FwcjALg5
Very progressive and a beautiful story. Tyrone, the "rasta student" who was nearly denied admission to Achimota School because of his hair. He's now part of the #Nsmq team of the school. 🙌 pic.twitter.com/ZzqTUGtgMf— WhyAlwaysEQ (@WhyAlwaysEkow) June 2, 2023
The same Tyron Iras Marhgay, Achimota school rejected bcos of his hairstyle is now leading their team to prepare for the upcoming NSMQ. This life erh 🤔 pic.twitter.com/TKGrFOk6gt— Nation. (@natioonn) June 2, 2023
- Livestream: The Probe discusses impact of #OccupyJulorbiHouse protest
- Dr. Sa-ad Iddrisu: Historians must document all human rights violations under Akufo-Addo’s watch
- Yaw Nsarkoh: Osagyefo & The Madiba: Global Africa in Search of Transformational Leadership in the 21st Century
- Ghanaian forward Ibrahim Sadiq gets assist as AZ Alkmaar win big in Eredivisie
- Nhyira Fm’s Mama Effe honoured at Mali’s 63rd Independence celebration in Kumasi
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: I am here for Ghanaians, not NPP or NDC – Stonebwoy
- GPL 2023/24: Hearts of Oak beat 10-man Nsoatreman; Aduana beat Medeama
- Ghanaian youngster Raymond Anokye Asante scores in back-to-back games after injury return
- Ghanaian winger Joseph Paintsil scores first goal in Genk’s dramatic draw against Truidense
- Premier League: Darwin Nunez helps fire Liverpool to win over West Ham
- One injured in gas station fire at Katamanso
- Premier League: Watkins winner piles more misery on 10-man Chelsea
- Premier League: Arsenal and Tottenham play out thrilling derby draw
- Playback: The Law discusses how to avoid contempt of court
- D-Black’s TV show, Uncut, hits the screens in November