Audio By Carbonatix
Rafael Benitez has been fired as Real Madrid coach, with former player Zinedine Zidane replacing the Spaniard.
The decision was announced by club president Florentino Perez at a press conference on Monday evening after Los Blancos lost further ground in the title race with a 2-2 draw at Valencia.
Pressure has been building on Benitez since a 3-2 defeat at Sevilla in November was followed by a 4-0 thrashing by Barcelona, who are now four points clear of Real Madrid at the top of La Liga.
The club have made an in-house appointment in Zidane, who spent five glittering years at the Bernabeu as a player and has been a coach at the club since 2013.
"It’s an emotional day," Zidane told the press conference. "Even more emotional than the day when I signed as a player."
"Real Madrid is the best club in the world with the best fan base in the world and I will do my best to make sure we end the season with a trophy."
Benitez becomes the 11th coach to be fired by Perez during his two spells as Real Madrid president. The last time Perez changed coach mid-season he replaced Vanderlei Luxemburgo with Lopez Caro, with Perez resigning two months later.
Spain's Radio Marca had been reporting rumours that the former Liverpool, Inter Milan and Chelsea manager would be fired throughout Monday, rumours which were endorsed by Spanish media outlet AS before finally being confirmed by the club.
-
Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports
Latest Stories
-
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
10 seconds -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
7 minutes -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
1 hour -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
1 hour -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
2 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
2 hours -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
2 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
2 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
2 hours -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
2 hours -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
2 hours -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
2 hours -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
2 hours -
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
3 hours -
Akatsi Police seize suspected cannabis consignment, driver escapes
3 hours