Audio By Carbonatix
Russell Brand has denied sexually assaulting a woman on a film set, saying his accuser has a "faulty memory of the events".
In a civil lawsuit in November, the woman accused the actor and comedian of exposing himself and assaulting her while filming Arthur in 2010.
But his lawyers have said the lawsuit is "premised on the false claim" that he was visibly intoxicated at the time.
He was playing a drunk character but was sober in reality, they said.
The woman appeared to be "unable to distinguish acting from reality", they said in legal papers filed on Tuesday.
In her lawsuit, filed with New York State Supreme Court, the unnamed woman claimed the actor had "appeared intoxicated, smelled of alcohol, and was carrying a bottle of vodka on set".
He then exposed himself in full view of the cast and crew, her papers said.
The woman said that later the same day, Brand entered the bathroom after her and assaulted her as "a member of production crew guarded the door from outside".
In his response, he denied those allegations and said he did not recognise her name or photo and did not remember having any interactions with her.
His legal papers said: "Famously, the character, Arthur Bach, originally played by Dudley Moore in the 1981 comedy, Arthur, is a drunk.
"Brand, an actor and comedian, played the same role in the 2010 remake. While Brand's job was to act drunk and portray a drunk the film, he did not drink a sip of alcohol or consume any drugs at any time during production."
Brand's lawyer added that "the "open alcohol bottle" was a prop for the film.
Her "faulty memory of the events she alleged in her complaint - more than 13 years after they supposedly happened - is fatal to her claims", the statement added.
At the time of the filming, Brand had not taken drugs or alcohol for about eight years, his lawyers said.
Film studio Warner Bros Pictures and other companies involved in the production are also named as defendants.
He is also facing a number of other accusations of rape, sexual assaults and emotional abuse between 2006 and 2013.
In December, London's Metropolitan Police said he had been questioned in relation to nine alleged offences, and that its inquiries were continuing.
He has previously said his relationships have "always" been consensual.
Latest Stories
-
Man Utd agree ÂŁ70m fee for Brighton’s Baleba
1 hour -
Inter-Agency Football Gala: YEA organize event as part of National Youth Month celebration
1 hour -
Receiver fights High Court order to hand over No.1 Oxford Street Hotel to Cheddar’s company
2 hours -
Partey begins new chapter in Saudi Arabia with Al Shabab
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: St. Francis Xavier deny debutants Pentecost SHS one-eighth spot
2 hours -
One killed in sword attack at Swedish school
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
3 hours -
Tupac murder accused told police in 2008 his nephew fired fatal shots
3 hours -
Heart of the Beast to Practical Magic 2: 10 of the best films to watch this September
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
3 hours -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Winneba Secondary School holds off Fijai SHS to reach one-eighth stage
4 hours -
KNUST assures staff, public over statute review process amid UTAG concerns
4 hours -
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Dr Isaac Bampoe Addo passes on
4 hours -
Take post-flood disinfection seriously to prevent disease outbreaks – Environmental Health Officer backs Zoomlion
4 hours