Former Bayern Munich defender, Sammy Kuffour, says Lothar Matthaus’ decision to invest in Accra Lions shows there are a lot of talents in Ghana.
On Tuesday, May 23, there was an event in Accra to officially announce the former FIFA World Player of the Year as one of three new owners of the Ghana Premier League side, with the ex-player now boasting the majority stake in the club.
Speaking at an event at the German Ambassador’s residence on Tuesday night, Kuffour, who played alongside Lothar, detailed the rationale behind the World Cup winner coming to Ghana.
“I feel blessed to know [Lothar Matthaus] as a person and also for him to come to Ghana,” he said.
“There are so many opportunities that they could go to any other country [but] they chose Ghana. That tells you there is something here that we have to take care of.”
Having secured majority shares in Accra Lions, Lothar promised that he is going to be on a regular visit to Ghana at least five times a year.
He also adds that he will be more concerned about the development and improvement of young talents that will come through the club rather than focus on just their performance in the league.
- Otumfuo destools chief of Asante’s famous Antoa town
- 16 feared dead, over 40 injured in Gomoa Okyereko accident on Accra-Cape Coast highway
- Supreme Court ‘cautions and discharges’ NDC’s Kpessa Whyte after convicting him for contempt
- Pressure mounts on cedi; loses 9% in value to dollar last week
- Tinubu removes controversial Fuel subsidy in Nigeria
- Parliament writes to EC, declares Assin North seat vacant
- We’re sorry for obnoxious statements about Christianity in history textbook – Ghana Authors & Publishers
- Nigeria: Hilton Hotel owner, two workers sentenced to death for murder of student
- Bawumia picks NPP flagbearer nomination form
- AFCON 2023Q: Nuamah included, Sowah dropped as Hughton names Ghana squad to face Madagascar
- CHASS expresses concern about abuse of PTA funds
- Indigenous knowledge vital in preserving biodiversity – Educationist
- 4,000 Amansie West residents now on NHIS
- ‘I’m working hard to get back’ – Tariq Lamptey on latest Black Stars absence
- JoyNews premieres ‘Ghana Potholes Exhibition’
- Keta Port will be your legacy if constructed – KIPC CEO to Akufo-Addo
- Resign and concentrate on your health; Ahanta West needs development – NDC tells Kojo Kum
- Tariq Lamptey Foundation donates football kits and equipment to two schools in Asamankese
- OccupyGhana shocked at government’s new position on Public Officers Act after ignoring its calls
- Beyoncé celebrates Blue Ivy after she takes stage at Renaissance world tour
- ‘Remain calm, for, you are kind and peace-loving’ – Indonesian Consul to Voltarians
- National Cathedral: Only $22.07m out of $58.14m has gone into actual construction – Ablakwa
- Agorkedzi: Another tidal waves destruction leaves one dead, many homeless
- Immediately transfer shares held by JOHL to GNPC – Minority to government
- 2023 U23 AFCON: Kamaldeen Sulemana to be called up to Black Meteors squad for tournament