Audio By Carbonatix
Senegalese police clashed with supporters of arrested opposition leader Ousmane Sonko on Thursday, leaving one person dead.
It was the first death confirmed in clashes since Sonko was detained on Wednesday for disturbing public order as protests broke out before his court appearance on a rape charge.
Sonko, leader of the opposition Pastef party and a former presidential candidate, is considered a key potential challenger for President Macky Sall in elections in three years.
One person was killed in clashes in Bignona town, in the southern Casamance region, a police official said.
“We still don’t know the cause, it is under investigation,” said the official, who asked not to be identified. Four police were also injured in the fighting.
Sonko’s arrest triggered the worst unrest seen in the capital of Senegal in years, a West African country known for its stability.
Senegalese authorities also suspended the signal of two private television stations for 72 hours on Thursday, accusing them of broadcasting “in loop” images of unrest triggered by Sonko’s arrest.
The decision announced by the National Audiovisual Regulatory Council (CNRA) affects Sen TV and Walf TV channels.
Due in court
Al Jazeera’s Nicolas Haque, reporting from the Cheikh Anta Diop University in Dakar, said students and supporters of Sonko had thrown stones at police, prompting special forces “to take control of the situation”.
“They have been throwing tear gas and trying to get the protesters to move back, but to no avail,” he added.

Sonko was transferred Thursday evening to a Dakar court where his case will be heard by a judge on Friday.
“Ousmane Sonko is now the subject of a warrant. He will be taken to the investigating magistrate tomorrow, willingly or by force,” Abdoulaye Tall, one of his lawyers, told the AFP news agency.
‘Everyone has to comply’
Hundreds of people followed his motorcade on Wednesday, sounding horns and singing before clashes erupted and Sonko was arrested before reaching the court.
Interior Minister Antoine Felix Abdoulaye Diome said Sonko was detained over a ban on gatherings because of the coronavirus and violating a traffic plan put in place.
“Everyone has to comply. Others have done the same. I wonder why there would be an exception,” he told RFM radio.
Sonko has denied the rape charges filed against him last month by an employee at a salon where he received massages.
A 46-year-old devout Muslim, Sonko is frequently critical of Senegal’s ruling elite and is popular with young people.
He accuses Sall of conspiring to sideline him before the 2024 elections.
Latest Stories
-
Women bear the heaviest burden after climate disasters – GreenFaith Africa
14 minutes -
APN calls for urgent mobile money interoperability across Africa
21 minutes -
Portugal’s Ronaldo set for record sixth World Cup
24 minutes -
Cedi depreciates by 8.4% against dollar in interbank market
31 minutes -
Arsenal are 2025/26 EPL champions after Man City draw at Bournemouth
42 minutes -
CSOs will bring new dimensions to OSP constitutionality case – Justice Abdulai
45 minutes -
Ghana’s pubic debt hits GH¢674.1bn as of February 2026
50 minutes -
Mamprugu king accuses security agencies of abuse, demands justice over death of Mamprusi youth
1 hour -
Ghana has not exited IMF, PCI is a new three-year deal – Oppong Nkrumah
1 hour -
Health Ministry issues Ebola alert after WHO declares global public health emergency
1 hour -
Asiedu Nketia enskinned as Kashentengwura in Bole
1 hour -
Ghana secures $40m diaspora investment fund as entry point for Africa growth push in Atlanta Dialogue
1 hour -
Abronye DC case: Detention doesn’t take away right to healthcare – Martin Kpebu
2 hours -
German-born Ghanaian youngster Jason Osei-Tutu joins Greuther Fürth ahead of 2026/27 season
2 hours -
Health Ministry opens admissions for 2026/2027 public health training institutions
2 hours