Audio By Carbonatix
Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini are facing likely bans of around seven years when FIFA's ethics judge delivers his verdict on Monday.
Barring a major surprise, both FIFA president Blatter and UEFA president Platini are expected to be found guilty of ethics code breaches surrounding a £1.3million "disloyal payment" made to the Frenchman in 2011.
German judge Hans-Joachim Eckert, the chairman of FIFA's adjudicatory chamber, held disciplinary hearings for the pair last week and is due to announce his findings and any sanctions on Monday morning.
Ethics investigators accept that proving corruption, which carries a lifetime ban, will be difficult - it was reported on Sunday that Blatter himself had claimed that those charges would be dropped.
Investigators are very confident that other charges including conflict of interest, false accounting and non co-operation - or criticism of the ethics committee - will be proved. A file running to more than 50 pages was submitted by investigators.
Sources with knowledge of the case say sanctions handed down to other FIFA officials previously provide an indication of the level of the bans faced by Platini and Blatter.
In July, Harold Mayne-Nichols. the official who headed the inspection team for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, was banned from all football-related activity for seven years for conflict of interest and breach of confidentiality.
Former FIFA vice-president Chung Mong-Joon from Korea was banned for six years in October for ethics code breaches that he said related to matters such as duty of disclosure, and confidentiality.
Platini boycotted his hearing in Zurich on Friday in protest, claiming a decision already appeared to have been made. His lawyers attended, but it looks as though the Frenchman is already preparing to take the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
His slim hopes of running for the FIFA presidency on February 26 would be finally ended by any sort of a ban however. The provisional suspensions imposed on him and Blatter in October mean he has been unable to carry out any campaigning.
Blatter is unlikely to go quietly either as he faces an end to his four decades at the top of FIFA. The 79-year-old has called a news conference for Monday morning in Zurich in the same building that used to house FIFA before it moved to its new headquarters in 2006. He has already claimed in media interviews that the ethics committee has no power to remove him as president.
-
Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySports
Latest Stories
-
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
9 minutes -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
43 minutes -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
47 minutes -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
54 minutes -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
2 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
2 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
2 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
3 hours -
NAIMOS arrest one foreign national and 7 Ghanaians in anti-galamsey operation in Ashanti Region
3 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
3 hours -
GoldBod wins community backing for responsible mining support program in Ashanti Region
3 hours -
Xenophobic attack: Why announce evacuation without preparation? – Minority caucus questions gov’t
3 hours -
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
3 hours -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
3 hours -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
3 hours