Audio By Carbonatix
Authorities in Ethiopia have said more than 100 girls were raped and treated in the capital, Addis Ababa, since the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic, the privately owned Walta TV has reported.
The head of Addis Ababa women and children affairs office, Almaz Abraham, said sexual violence was on the rise as schools had been closed to prevent the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.
"One-hundred-and-one girls were raped in the past two months after the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic."
"The problem is that, unlike when schools were open, the attacks are not being exposed until the girls get pregnant. Maybe, there would be chances of stopping it from reaching to that stage if the girls were going to school," she said.
"Men who used to practise different habits outside their homes are now doing them to their children when they stay at home," she added.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: St. Francis Xavier deny debutants Pentecost SHS one-eighth spot
33 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
2 hours -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Winneba Secondary School holds off Fijai SHS to reach one-eighth stage
2 hours -
KNUST assures staff, public over statute review process amid UTAG concerns
2 hours -
CLOGSAG Executive Secretary Dr Isaac Bampoe Addo passes on
2 hours -
Take post-flood disinfection seriously to prevent disease outbreaks – Environmental Health Officer backs Zoomlion
2 hours -
Zoomlion launches fumigation exercise across 14 MMDAs in Western Region
3 hours -
UTAG-KNUST votes to retain elections for Pro-Vice Chancellors and Deans
3 hours -
Newsfile to discuss nationwide blackouts, GoldBod controversy, galamsey and water quality
3 hours -
Adamus must settle GRA, MIIF and financial institutions liabilities under new turnaround roadmap
3 hours -
Big Chef Season Five returns with Gari Fotor Challenge this Sunday
3 hours -
Gov’t to form 6-member team to supervise Adamus mine turnaround
3 hours -
Wontumi is not Mandela, NPP must be realistic about chairmanship bid – Musa Danquah
3 hours