Audio By Carbonatix
Vuvuzelas could be banned in South African football grounds unless Kaizer Chiefs fans improve their behaviour.
At a recent cup game, supporters of the country's most popular club threw two vuvuzelas and a cabbage onto the pitch.
Chiefs have been handed a suspended fine of US$72,130, while their chairman was ordered to make a public apology.
"Should vuvuzelas continue to be used as missiles they could be banned," the Premier Soccer League's prosecutor Zola Majavu said on Thursday.
Many football fans watching this year's World Cup in South Africa on television wish that vuvuzelas had been banned, given the wasp-like drone that accompanied match commentaries.
However, thousands of supporters took vuvuzelas to games, with many visiting fans purchasing an item that came to symbolise the 2010 World Cup.
Should any Chiefs fan throw a missile onto the pitch for the rest of the season, the Johannesburg-based club must pay its fine - and could prompt a vuvuzela ban.
Chiefs were also ordered to pay costs of US$3,000 for the disciplinary hearing and told to hold a news conference to denounce spectator misbehaviour.
"We call upon (fans) to help identify rogue elements intent on causing disruption," club chairman Kaizer Motaung told the news conference on Thursday.
"Once (they are) identified we intend to blacklist theses individuals."
In recent years, South African fans have started taking loaves of bread and raw cabbages to games, eating them in front of television cameras to symbolise 'eating' their opponents.
Chiefs fans, meanwhile, have taken credit for making the noisy plastic vuvuzela trumpets a popular part of South African football culture.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
GN Savings and Loans to reopen first branch in Elmina – Nduom
15 minutes -
Mr Eazi’s Zagadat Capital acquires 17.31 per cent stake in Intravenous Infusions PLC
1 hour -
Mahama, Macron push new chapter on reparatory justice
2 hours -
Ghana Institute of Architects cracks down on fake architects and illegal practice
2 hours -
Ghana to destroy over 4,000 illegal weapons in nationwide arms amnesty exercise
2 hours -
Headmen and Queen Mothers meet in Binde to promote lasting peace in Mamprugu Kingdom
3 hours -
Tension in Kasoa: Assembly pulls down shops for 24-hour economy project
4 hours -
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
4 hours -
REGSEC halts Koforidua China Mall project over severe flooding
4 hours -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
5 hours -
BoG pushes for integrated African payment systems to boost trade — Dr Asiama
5 hours -
Two people shot in encounter with Secret Service near the White House
5 hours -
Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
5 hours -
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
5 hours -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
6 hours