Newly crowned IBF Lightweight world champion Richard Commey has stated he’s not scared of WBO Africa Lightweight titleholder Emmanuel Game Boy Tagoe.
Commey, who is currently Ghana's only world champion was speaking on arrival at the Kotoka International airport after beating Russian Isa Chaniev to clinch the IBF strap in the USA. The fight which ended inside two rounds was Commey’s second attempt at the world title having lost to Robert Easter Jnr under controversial circumstances in his first attempt in 2016.
Former IBO Lightweight titleholder Emmanuel Tagoe reportedly challenged Commey to a fight and pointed out that the champion cannot run away from him since they fight in the same weight class. Tagoe is ranked number 12 on the IBF’s ranking and can place himself in contention for a shot at Commey’s strap if he works his way up into the top two.
Image: Emmanuel Game Boy Tagoe
Responding to questions about the possibility of two Ghanaians battling it out in a world title match up Commey stressed the need for Ghana to have more world champions and how such a fight hampers that dream. He was however quick to add he wasn’t scared of Tagoe and would welcome the fight if it comes up.
“Honestly speaking I’m not scared of him but why would I challenge a fellow Ghanaian? We want more world champions in this country,” Commey told Joy Sports.
He added that Tagoe “spars little amateur boys when preparing for his fights”.
Commey also pointed out the huge investments made by Black Stars skipper Asamoah Gyan’s Baby Jet Promotions, handlers of Tagoe, in a bid to annex a world title.
“Asamoah Gyan has invested a lot for him to get a world title but where is it (world title)? Has he got anything like this?”
Richard Commey was scheduled to face WBA and WBO Lightweight champion Vasyl Lomachenko in a unification fight but that fight has been scuppered due to an injury sustained in the Chaniev fight. Commey will be out for six week and new date is expected to be announced for the first defense of his title.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Godfred Dame set to be Ghana gov't rep on new Fifa Task Force
- Pogba buys World Cup championship rings for entire France team
- Real Madrid a dream club but I'm happy at Man Utd, says Pogba
- Coco-Cola to sponsor 15 lucky consumers to watch EPL games
- Four persons accused by Gyan of extortion acquitted
- ANDOH: After 6 months of a disappointing Normalization Committee, more questions than answers
- Paa Kwesi Fabin appointed coach of Uganda's youth teams
- Kofi Amoah to stay in new look Fifa Normalisation Committee, 3 others to leave
- PSG win legal battle with UEFA over FFP investigation
- Opare replaces Yiadom in Black Stars squad to face Kenya
- Xavi says 48-team Qatar World Cup would be too long
- Hudson-Odoi 'shocked' to receive first England call-up
- Ronaldo charged by UEFA over goal celebration
- CAF Rankings: Ghana gains one coefficient point after Kotoko campaign
- Messi humbled by Betis fans' standing ovation