Audio By Carbonatix
After several rounds of talks between the Ministry of Youth and Sports and the Ghana Football Association (GFA), the nation’s football governing body, regarding the remuneration of the Black Stars, the road is now clear for the payment of the players’ bonuses.
A probe into the delay of the unpaid World Cup bonuses revealed that the players demanded that they are paid in hard currency (US dollars), as promised them before the Mundial in South Africa.
On the team’s return from the ‘conquest’, the Ministry of Youth and Sports decided to pay the team in the local currency (Cedis), but the players insisted that they be paid in hard currency as per the ‘contract’.
A further probe into the matter points to the fact that the Ministry was lethargic in fulfilling the financial promise, taking into account the huge difference in the purchase of the dollar to the cedi equivalent.
The GFA, eventually, contacted the Youth and Sports Ministry, took it upon itself to accept the outstanding bonus in cedis, and promised to buy the dollar equivalent to settle the matter, a source at the FA told the Chronicle's investigative team.
That implies that the FA had to cough up additional money to enable it buy the dollar equivalent obligation. According to the source, relatives of the players were supposed to sign on behalf of the players, most of who ply their trade in foreign lands, for the cash.
However, the matter took a different twist Thursday, according to the Chronicle, which says its roving team was reliably informed that the cash had been handed to a GFA official, who would transport it to the players in South Africa where they are currently based, preparing for their Nations Cup Qualifier against Swaziland on Sunday.
Each player is entitled to a mouth-watering amount close to $100,000, being outstanding winning bonuses of their games against Serbia and the US at the 2010 South Africa World Cup. The Stars, the only African side to qualify from the group stage of the 2010 World Cup, finished as quarter finalists.
Source: The Chronicle /Ghana
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
33 minutes -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
1 hour -
BoG pushes for integrated African payment systems to boost trade — Dr Asiama
1 hour -
Two people shot in encounter with Secret Service near the White House
2 hours -
Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
2 hours -
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
2 hours -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
2 hours -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
2 hours -
Scottish woman ‘was on a mission’ to find out who her Ghanaian husband was. Then she died
2 hours -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
2 hours -
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
3 hours -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
4 hours -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
4 hours -
GN Savings and Loans: Ndoum thanks Mahama after Court of Appeal victory
4 hours -
2026 U17 WWCQ: Goalfest in Accra as Black Maidens hit Liberia for six
4 hours