Audio By Carbonatix
Former world number one Tiger Woods will on Monday drop outside the top 100 in the rankings for the first time in more than 18 years.
The 39-year-old American is down at number 96 and a world ranking official told Reuters that he is likely to slip to 102nd when the list is adjusted after this weekend's tournaments.
Woods posted an 82 at the Phoenix Open in January, his worst round as a professional, as he slumped outside the leading 50 in the rankings for the first time in more than three years.
Since then the 14-times major winner has continued a downward slide that resulted in him failing to qualify for this month's WGC-Cadillac Championship, an event he has won seven times.
Woods was ranked 433rd when he turned professional in September 1996. He then jumped to 75th after landing his first victory as a professional at the 1996 Las Vegas Invitational, the first of 79 PGA Tour titles.
Woods first moved to world number one when he finished 19th at the 1997 U.S. Open. The American spent a record total of 683 weeks at the top of the rankings until he lost the number one spot to Australia's Adam Scott in May 2014.
Current number one Rory McIlroy has been top of the rankings since August.
-
Latest Stories
-
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
9 minutes -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
10 minutes -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
18 minutes -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
20 minutes -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
31 minutes -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
33 minutes -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
45 minutes -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
53 minutes -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
55 minutes -
Uganda confirms 3 new Ebola cases, bringing total to 5
55 minutes -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
56 minutes -
Security recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
60 minutes -
Mahama rules out IMF ‘kenkey and waakye parties’, takes swipe at erstwhile Akufo-Addo gov’t
1 hour -
Mahama says Ghana’s economy still needs major reforms despite IMF progress
1 hour -
Ghana Card is a critical national asset – Interior Minister
1 hour