Audio By Carbonatix
President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that his administration's cuts to the U.S. Agency for International Development and its aid programs worldwide have been "devastating."
Speaking beside South African President Cyril Ramaphosa during a White House visit, Trump was asked about his cutting most foreign aid by a reporter who said the decision had significant impacts in Africa.
"It's devastating, and hopefully a lot of people are going to start spending a lot of money," Trump said in the Oval Office.
"I've talked to other nations. We want them to chip in and spend money too, and we've spent a lot. And it's a big - it's a tremendous problem going on in many countries. A lot of problems going on. The United States always gets the request for money. Nobody else helps."
The State Department, which manages USAID, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The administration has repeatedly defended the cuts, saying they were focused on wasted funds. The gutting of the agency, largely overseen by South Africa-born businessman Elon Musk, is the subject of several federal lawsuits.
The United States is the world's largest humanitarian aid donor, amounting to at least 38% of all contributions recorded by the United Nations. It disbursed $61 billion in foreign assistance last year, just over half of it via USAID, according to government data, opens new tab.
The U.S. spent half a billion dollars on South African aid in 2023, mostly on healthcare, the most recent data shows. Most of that funding has been withdrawn, though it is unclear exactly how much.
The cuts have had an effect on the country's response to the HIV epidemic. South Africa has the world's highest burden of HIV, with about 8 million people - one in five adults - living with the virus.
Washington was funding 17% of the country's HIV budget before the cuts. In the months since, testing and monitoring of HIV patients across South Africa has decreased, Reuters has reported.
Latest Stories
-
Panic in Sunyani: Chiefs to perform rituals after mystery deaths of two successive headteachers
52 minutes -
The party has lost ground – Paul Afoko breaks long silence to launch NPP comeback
1 hour -
“It is worrying” – Prof. Akosa sounds alarm over failing medical ethics
2 hours -
World Cup reality check: Mexico beat fringe Black Stars 2-0 in Puebla friendly
2 hours -
Black Stars lose 2-0 to Mexico in pre-World Cup friendly in Puebla
3 hours -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
3 hours -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
4 hours -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
4 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
4 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
6 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
7 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
7 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
7 hours -
Lupita Nyong’o rejects criticism of Helen of Troy role
8 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
8 hours