Audio By Carbonatix
US President Donald Trump says he has ordered two nuclear submarines to "be positioned in the appropriate regions" in response to "highly provocative" comments by former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev.
Trump said he acted "just in case these foolish and inflammatory statements are more than just that. Words are very important, and can often lead to unintended consequences, I hope this will not be one of those instances".
He did not say where the two submarines were being deployed.
Medvedev has recently threatened the US in response to Trump's ultimatum to Moscow to agree to a ceasefire in Ukraine, or face tough sanctions.
Russia and the US possess the most nuclear arms in the world.
But Trump did not say whether he was referring to nuclear-powered or nuclear-armed submarines in his post on Truth Social.
In the post, the US president wrote: "Based on the highly provocative statements of the former president of Russia, Dmitry Medvedev, who is now the deputy chairman of the Security Council of the Russian Federation, I have ordered two nuclear submarines to be positioned in the appropriate regions".
Trump and Medvedev have recently been involved in a series of personal attacks against each other on social media.
On Monday, Medvedev accused Trump of playing "the ultimatum game with Russia".
In a post on X, he said "each new ultimatum is a threat and a step towards war".
Earlier this month, Medvedev described Trump's ultimatum as "theatrical", saying that "Russia didn't care".
And writing on Telegram on Thursday, Medvedev warned of a "dead hand" threat - which some military analysts understood as a reference to the codename of Russia's retaliatory nuclear strikes control system.
On Thursday, Trump described Medvedev as "the failed former president of Russia, who thinks he's still president".
Trump also warned Medvedev to "watch his words", adding that "he's entering very dangerous territory!"
The White House told the BBC they had no further comment on Trump's remarks.
The Kremlin has not publicly commented on the latest statement by Trump.
Latest Stories
-
FDA warns against unauthorised chemicals for ripening plantain
58 seconds -
‘If you sell gold at a loss, you’re not a good trader’ – Afenyo-Markin jabs Sammy Gyamfi
4 minutes -
Dr. Bawumia meets new Greater Accra NPP executives; charges them to bring all talents on board
8 minutes -
Before the Next Jason: When seniority becomes a weapon against young academics
21 minutes -
For President Mahama, every mother must live. What about you?
29 minutes -
OMCs commence fuel price reviews; Star Oil sells petrol at GH¢14.97, diesel kept at GH¢16.97
1 hour -
Residents of Brekusu-Kwabenya-Kitase protest over deplorable roads
1 hour -
Genser Energy secures 456m euros to accelerate next phase of growth across West Africa
1 hour -
COKA visits Kokofu after Ashanti NPP win, calls for unity ahead of 2028
1 hour -
Bono East crowns Kintampo SHS, Gyarko Community Day SHS for national public speaking finals
2 hours -
GRIDCo completes initial repair works on Ashaiman transmission line
2 hours -
Egyapa Mercer donates hairdryers to graduating hairdressers in Sekondi
2 hours -
Health Ministry hands over 30 ambulances to National Security for refurbishment
2 hours -
Republic Bank deepens commitment to homeownership with nationwide JoyNews Habitat Fair partnership
2 hours -
Archbishop Duncan-Williams links galamsey to Ghana’s wider culture of indiscipline
2 hours