Audio By Carbonatix
The move to extend gas exploration in the disputed Eastern area is expected to heighten tensions with Greece. The row over the gas-rich region has stoked fears that the NATO members could engage in a military conflict.
Turkey has announced it is extending a gas exploration mission in a disputed area of the Mediterranean Sea until November 4, in a move that is set to heighten tensions with Greece.
In a statement late Saturday, Turkey said the Oruc Reis seismic survey vessel, accompanied by two support ships — the Ataman and Cengiz Han — will operate in the area south of the Greek island of Rhodes for an additional week. An earlier notice had said the ships would only be operating in the area until October 27.
The two countries are locked in a dispute over the extent of their continental shelves and conflicting claims to hydrocarbon resources in the Eastern Mediterranean. The row began in August when Turkey sent the Oruc Reis into waters also claimed by Greece and Cyprus.
Fears of military confrontation
The move sparked a dispute that threatened military confrontation between the NATO allies and drew widespread condemnation from the European Union. Ankara withdrew the Oruc Reis last month to allow for diplomacy before a European Union summit, where Cyprus proposed sanctions against Turkey.
After the summit, the EU said it would punish Turkey if it continued its operations in the region. Ankara said the bloc's decision have put further strain on Turkish-EU ties.
Greece and the European Union consider Turkey's drilling in the Eastern Mediterranean to be illegal. Ankara contests it is working in its own exclusive economic zone.
The ship was sent back into the disputed waters this month, spurring condemnation from France, Germany and Greece.
Concerns remain high that Greece and Turkey could engage in military conflict, as both have carried out maneuvers in the region with frigates and fighter jets involved.
In the past, Turkey has dispatched other exploratory missions for oil and gas reserves in waters that Cyprus claims as its own.
On Friday, the two NATO partners canceled planned military exercises for the coming week, which was seen as a sign of relaxation in the region.
Latest Stories
-
Health, educational institutions in deprived communities get free cement from Ghacem
1 minute -
Court grants GH¢63.5m bail to ex-NAFCO CEO and wife in alleged corruption trial
14 minutes -
GSA shuts down 4 companies in Afienya over substandard mattresses
42 minutes -
Theo Dzimega defends judge’s discretion in Abronye DC bail, criticises Afenyo-Markin’s remarks
45 minutes -
Ghana Bar Association rejects ‘NPP’ tag by Ofosu Kwakye
1 hour -
Hindsight: What next for the women’s relay team after African Championships?
1 hour -
World Vision launches 5-year water and sanitation programme in Wa
1 hour -
Opinion: Mahama must reshuffle his cabinet now to save the NDC from internal cracks
2 hours -
We’ll not condone such acts – GBA condemns Afenyo-Markin’s judge attack
2 hours -
One shot dead, 7 others injured at galamsey site in Bibiani Anhwiaso Bekwai
2 hours -
Two men arrested over stunt at enclosure of famous monkey Punch
2 hours -
Belgian ex-diplomat Davignon dies before trial over Lumumba assassination
2 hours -
Dembele having treatment for calf strain, say PSG
2 hours -
Ghana placed in Pot 2 ahead of 2027 AFCON qualifying draw
3 hours -
Elon Musk loses lawsuit against OpenAI
3 hours