Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey, who was pushed out of the company as chief executive in 2008, is to return full time to lead product development.
He will replace fellow co-founder Evan Williams, who has stepped back from daily involvement with Twitter but will remain on the board.
The announcement was tweeted by chief executive Dick Costolo who wrote that he was “excited” by the return.
Mr Dorsey followed up the tweet, saying that he was “thrilled”.
He says he intends to remain chief executive of a mobile payments service called Square, which is located near Twitter’s San Francisco headquarters.
“As executive chairman, Jack will dive into work with more than 450 people, led by an experienced executive team,” Twitter said in a company statement.
“The timing is fortuitous; not only is Twitter experiencing record growth, but we also now have a new infrastructure that will keep us ahead of that growth and enable us to launch products that will make Twitter more instant, simple and always present,” the statement said.
The move comes at an important time for the information and communications platform.
Despite the phenomenal take up by around 200 million users, the company faces challenges ahead as it proves itself to be a profitable business.
Last week Twitter celebrated its fifth birthday.
- I asked Akufo-Addo to forgive me for opposing Bawumia as running mate – Ama Busia
- NDC party has now become lame – Dan Abodakpi
- Nigerian jailbreakers re-arrested in Ghana after crossing Volta River
- NDC must focus on healing the horse, not selecting a rider – Kunbour
- Whether dumsor is back or not, current power outages must be resolved immediately – Prof Adei
- Akuapem Poloo’s child is with me, he doesn’t know what is going on – Actress’ lawyer
- 7 times Ghana has beaten Nigeria to the prize
- ‘A tenant may be evicted for a month’s arrears’ – Rent Control
- 12 leading clubs confirm formation and format for breakaway Super League
- Second dose of Covid-19 vaccine can be taken 4 weeks after the deadline stated – GHS
Dr Theresa Mannah-Blankson and Haruna Alhassan: Ghana’s post-pandemic Eurobond ‘success’
eTranzact secures Enhanced PSP license from BoG
Man remanded for defiling 3-year-old girl
Linda Dor stopover becomes hell for passengers as thieves raid VIP bus
Government interest costs on domestic borrowings fall again; T-Bills target also drops 6.6%
National Peace Council commends GAF for ensuring peace during elections 2020
Set aside 90-day jail term and fine me – Poloo to High Court
GNFS begins investigations into fire outbreak at Kumasi Central Market
Ablekuma South has created an enabling environment for business growth – Dr Vanderpuije
Thousands of people evacuated as wildfires spread across Table Mountain in Cape Town
1 dead, others missing after Santoor flood
Nigerian jailbreakers re-arrested in Ghana after crossing Volta River
More apprentices write COTVET exams in Bono Region
Attorney General supports my motion for appeal – Lawyer for Akuapem Poloo reveals
‘A spit in the face of football lovers’ – Uefa boss condemns European Super League plans