Nigeria captain Kelechi Nwakali has won the Golden Ball award for the best player of the just-ended FIFA U-17 World Cup in Chile.
The attacking midfielder emulates his namesake Kelechi Iheanacho – now making waves at Manchester City – from Nigeria's 2013 triumph, when he led the team to retain the title after defeating Mali 2-0 in the final in Vina Del Mar on Monday morning (Ghana time).
The youngster, whose older brother Chidiebere was a member of the victorious 2013 team, also received the third highest scorer award following his three goals.
His teammate Victor Osimhen picked up the Golden Boot award for the top scorer after netting an incredible ten goals. He becomes the first player ever to reach double digits in a single tournament, beating the previous record of nine goals set by France's Sinama Pongolle in 2001 and equaled in 2011 by Cote d'Ivoire star Souleymane Coulibaly.
Osimhen was also voted the second best player of the tournament, with Mali's Aly Malle receiving the Bronze Ball in a clean African sweep.
Mali goalkeeper Samuel Diarra won the Golden Glove, while Ecuador received the Fair Play Award.
Follow Gary on Twitter: @garyalsmith. Get more updates on Facebook/Twitter with the #JoySports hashtag
- NCA to shut down 49 TV stations for operating without license
- Police arrest 40 suspected criminals at Kasoa in Wednesday morning swoop
- Emanuella features in Australian action film ‘Survive Or Die’
- ‘I find myself in a very enviable position’ – Hassan Tampuli on ministerial appointment
- Mark Okraku Mantey appointed Deputy Minister-designate for Tourism, Arts and Culture
- 5 Ghanaians arrested in Dubai for smuggling weed; one jailed for 10 years
- Guinness Ghana’s Samuel Meyir Dery Joins FanMilk as new Marketing Director
- Suspect who slit throat of girlfriend in Ho remanded in police custody
- Headmaster found hanging dead from a tree behind his house in Techiman
- Election 2020: It is absolutely preposterous to think NDC didn’t collate its results – Afriyie Ankrah
Lack of public trust, confidence stalled Agyapa Mineral Royalties agreement – Steve Manteaw
Rastafarian case: Achimota School fails to respond to suit, case adjourned to April 30
IEPA, UNESCO Category II institute Inaugurates board members for West Africa toward achieving SDG 4
Let’s take charge of our future and our resources – Anika and Jabari Osaze
Motorbikes, tricycles contributes over 40% deaths, enforce law on banning – GPRTU
Education institutions must pay domestic utility tariff – TMA
Cocoa Management System will track progress of children in school – Cocobod
Tema East MP hails Speaker Bagbin and Dean of Presiding Members
All set for opening of IIPGH Digital Design & Creative Hub
Prudential Bank discusses transportation at 2nd AfCFTA Summit
NDC risks losing party bigwigs over accountability issues – Mohammed Frimpong
4 suspected phone snatchers nabbed at Ashaiman
Madina MP launches educational fund to mark 100 days in office
Teberebie residents receive free medical care
Pizza Express moves to hire 1,000 staff after cutting 2,400 jobs last year