I am forced to write to you this open letter. I decided to make it an open letter because of the enormous and weighty nature of the issue which must be greatly worrisome to all concerned New Patriotic Party folks in the Upper West Region and all right-thinking NPP folks including your good self.
The Survival of the New Patriotic Party in the Upper West Region largely depends on the kind of people you will appoint to MMDCE positions in the coming days.
Even though you have the Executive powers to appoint persons into the MMDCEs portfolios, I humbly suggest that the case of the Upper West Region demands collective thinking and dialoguing in finding suitable persons for the job.
The content of this letter is therefore open to all those who can help in suggesting effective and efficient personalities who can help you deliver your promises to the good people of the Upper West Region in your last term of administration.
One thing you need to be wary of is the misinformation and disinformation to your good office concerning who is qualified for these MMDCEs positions in the Upper West Region. Names have been suggested to you and lobbying going on depending on the interest of the lobbyists. But how to find out or understand whether the suggested persons can perform to your expectations visa-vie the general expectations of the grassroots base of the party and the total interest of the Upper West Region, is difficult.
But the issue I am addressing here is very serious; it is the issue of the life and survival of the New Patriotic Party in the Upper West Region, for your good reputation and the attractive image of the party. This issue can no longer be ignored, treated with nonchalance, swept under the carpet or treated with a cuddling glove.
The issue is hitting at the foundation of your party in the Region and if care is not taken, will fast erode the gains of the party in the Region. I am very much worried and afraid that, the NPP which quickly gained good image, making it attractive for the youth in the Region, is on the precipice and dangerously reaching a tipping point, where it may no longer be attractive anymore because of the failure of the incumbent MMDCEs to work assiduously to enhance the brand of the party and make it more attractive.
Without being immodest, as an Upper Westner and a journalist, who is a major stakeholder in the development of the Upper West Region and for that matter mother Ghana, it is imperative for me to draw your attention to certain key issues prevailing in the Upper West Region.
When Party folks are desperate and feel that they cannot have confidence in the ability of government appointees in addressing the concerns of the grassroots base of the party, but who have preoccupied their minds with making enough wealth from their offices, the grassroots will take recourse to anything and everything that can guarantee their demands individually and collectively.
For over four years of your leadership of this country, your incumbent MMDCEs in the Upper West Region have menacingly ravaged the party. They have turned death ears to several complaints by people in the grassroots, not to kill the attractive image of the party. This is because the members of the party grassroots were not consulted or had power in their respective appointments.
As a result, a very onerous cloud is gathering. And rain of party destruction, violence, disaster and disunity can only be the outcome. Nothing should be taken for granted, the clock is ticking with the cacophony of dissatisfaction and disaffection everywhere in and around the Upper West Region. You must understand and appreciate the significant implications and likely consequences in your attempt to retain the incumbent MMDCEs in the Upper West Region.
No one can stop the agitation and may be, smouldering violent agitation of the grassroot base of the party, if you fail to take their grievances and suggestions to appoint New MMDCEs to help you administer the region very effectively and efficiently.
A stitch in time saves nine, goes the old wise saying. With wealth amassing and party disintegration the preoccupation of the incumbent MMDCEs of your first term administration, at the expense of party balance and unity, the aggrieved grassroots base are saying “enough is enough”.
We can say with certainty that, the New Patriotic Party which saw enormous growth in the Upper West Region from the year 2000 after John Agyekum Kuffour won the elections is fast dissipating it’s numbers due to the arrogant and toxic leadership of the incumbent MMDCEs.
The grassroots base of your party are calling on your good office to please appoint new MMDCEs for the Region. I am quite aware of your interest in some old MMDCEs, especially, the feminine ones to be retained unless their situations look too terrible.
You can continue to ignore the calls and cries of the grassroots base of the party to appoint New MMDCEs for the Region for your own reasons. Remember, however, that maintaining incumbent MMDCEs will certainly affect the chances of the party in breaking the eight-year cycle in the 2024 general elections.
Your party’s abysmal performance in the 2020 general elections in the Upper West Region and for that matter, mother Ghana can be attributed partly to your ineffective and inefficient MMDCEs across the country who couldn’t hold grounds for you at the local level of governance.
To be explicit and without equivocation, Mr President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, I am deeply worried about some avoidable calamities that may face the New Patriotic Party in the Upper West if you maintain the incumbent MMDCEs in office.
- Abandoning The NPP ship at the local level into the hands of self-seeking politicians who are all being suspected, rightly or wrongly, as selfish, arrogant, unpatriotic who cannot spice up the good image of the party and also lacks the requisite administrative acumen to govern or deal with both the party and the general public with humility.
- Spontaneous or planned aggression against incumbent MMDCEs which may inadvertently or advertently mushroom into pogrom to destabilize the party’s agenda of breaking the “eight” by voting against the party in the 2024 general elections.
- Your incumbent MMDCEs have failed woefully the grassroots base of the party. They are both not easily visible and accessible to the base of the party. Remember accessibility and visibility is a very good Hallmark of a good politician.
- Maintaining incumbent MMDCEs will affect the balance of the New Patriotic Party in the Upper West. Majority of the grassroots base of your party are into the vicious circle of “Poverty Olympics”
- Almost all your incumbent MMDCEs in the Upper West Region contested the last parliamentary primaries of your party in which majority lost woefully. So if an MMDCE who presides over a Constituency or a municipality or district for four years cannot win internal Party primaries of delegates less than One Thousand, it means they were not in touch with the grassroots base of the party because most of the delegates form a part of the grassroots base of the party.
- The case of Wa Central Constituency is even more damning and difficult to comprehend. You have a sitting MCE who was the parliamentary candidate for the Party in the last two elections before the 2020 general elections. This is a person who represented the party in the 2012 and 2016 parliamentary elections and who came close to winning the seat by a deficit of 571 votes or so. This is a person who after only four years, came third in the parliamentary primaries leading to the 2020 general elections. That should tell you the magnitude of the case for change in local governance within the Constituency.
Such is the cases across the length and breadth of the Region.
It happened to the NDC not too long ago. If you do not act appropriately in your next appointment of MMDCEs, one or all of these scenarios may happen.
A couple of weeks ago, in my many radio programmes, I said, among other things, that: the survival of the New Patriotic Party in the Upper West region depends largely on the appointment of the MMDCEs for your next administration. One doesn’t need a rocket scientist or further empirical evidence to attest to this fact.
Let me conclude here by humblly appealing to you Mr President, to please listen to the cry and demands of the Party grassroots in appointing New MMDCEs for the region. This is my free advice.
- Cape Coast High Court cancels 2020 Assin North parliamentary election results
- Akufo-Addo sets in motion probe to determine if CJ should be removed from office
- Supreme Court prohibits Justice Honyenuga from continuing with Opuni’s case
- Assin North MP’s case: Resident insists only Supreme Court can decide what constitutes allegiance
- Neither Nana Asante Bediatuo nor his wife has bought Holiday Inn Hotel – Lawyers
- Pay us $2,000 or we will strike from August 2 – UTAG to government
- Obinim breaks down Black Sherif’s ‘Second Sermon’, Ghanaians react
- GRIDCo appoints new CEO
- Assin North ruling: We’ll contest this travesty of justice – Minority in Parliament
- No docket has been built and presented to AG since murder of Ahmed Suale – Godfred Dame
Dr Gideon Boako donates ₵10k to Tano Bofoakwa F.C
FDA approves Pfizer and Moderna vaccines
Livestream: PM Express discusses cancellation of Assin North Parliamentary election
Man, 54, jailed 9 years for pouring acid on ex-lover and mother
Partner government to give young people digital skills – Ursula Owusu-Ekuful to Ghanaians
Ursula Owusu, Sam George, others join hands to commission ICT centre, library at Akyem-Bieni
Students of Nyankpala DA Primary and Junior High School have roof over their heads
Parliament’s Privileges Committee invites Alhassan Suhuyini to testify in case against Assin Central MP
‘I’m ready to testify, Mr Chairman’ – Alhassan Suhuyini on invitation to testify in Assin Central MP case
‘Prison Break’ star Wentworth Miller reveals autism diagnosis
40-year-old slice of Prince Charles and Diana’s wedding cake to be auctioned
SEND Ghana finds discrepancies in Covid-19 expenditure by government
Bob Odenkirk in hospital after collapsing on set of Better Call Saul
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s daughter added to Royal line of succession
GHA officials, agents robbing state of ¢370k daily at 9 axle load weight stations