The Vice-President, Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia, arrived in New York on Sunday to participate in a meeting of the UN Security Council and hold discussions with Secretary-General, Antonio Guterres on Tuesday.
Ghana, assumed a seat on the 15-member UN Security Council on January 1, 2022, having been elected for a two-year tenure, the fourth time since its independence.
Dr. Bawumia will deliver a statement on behalf of President Akufo-Addo in the Security Council debate on the protection of civilians in urban conflict.
The Vice-President is also scheduled to meet US Assistant Secretary of State for Africa, Molly Phee, in Washington, DC, the US capital, on Wednesday.
Ghana wants to use its UN Security Council seat to mobilize international support to bring violent extremism in the Sahel under control and curb piracy in the Gulf of Guinea.
Ghana chairs the African Union’s Peace and Security Council and is serving on the UN Security Council alongside Gabon and Kenya.
President Akufo-Addo also chairs the ECOWAS Council of Heads of State at a time of political uncertainty in Mali and Guinea.
Dr. Bawumia was met on arrival by officials of the Ghana Mission to the UN led by the Permanent Representative, Mr. Harold Agyeman.
- Supreme Court dismisses land ownership claim by Teshie family
- Cattle and sheep easier to control than Nigerians – Buhari
- Ghana branded ambulance found in Dubai in viral video not for sale – National Ambulance Service
- Independent Power Producers reject government bid to restructure $1.58bn debt
- Attorney General asks Speaker to declare Assin North seat vacant
- T-bills auction: Government fails to meet target again; interest rates still surging
- I didn’t insult you – Mahama responds to Nana Akomea
- Legon Cities drag Hearts of Oak into relegation dogfight
- Let’s unite to remove E-levy, Covid-19 levy – Ablakwa urges MPs
- IMF deal: Government to reduce public sector compensations by 0.5%
- IMF deal: There is a lot of pain; government must first calm the market – Prof Bokpin
- Government should have called a national meeting before announcing 0.5% compensation reduction -Labour expert
- Otumfuo destools chief of Asante’s famous Antoa town
- From Eric’s Diary: A scammer’s hi
- Menstrual hygiene: NDC Volta Regional Women’s Wing distributes pads to Ketasco girls
- Pensioner Bondholders to resume picketing on Thursday
- Member of Parliament Mustapha Ussif donates ambulance to Yizesi community
- Tinubu removes controversial Fuel subsidy in Nigeria
- Build and entrench Ghana’s own policy credibility without IMF anchor – IEA to current and future governments
- We’re sorry for obnoxious statements about Christianity in history textbook – Ghana Authors & Publishers
- Luv Fm leads sanitary pad donation to girls in Amansie Central District
- Eastern Region: FDA steps up training for packaged water producers
- Renowned Economist Dr. Joe Abbey is dead
- UK Minister commits to supporting green finance across Africa
- Cues and Lyrics: TM Musiq adjudged judges’ favourite; Udiene goes home