Audio By Carbonatix
An Economist Dr. Patrick Asuming has said a debt cancellation will not provide the ultimate solution to the country’s economic woes.
Dr. Asuming explained that the country’s commercial debts are too enormous to make it possible for government to consider debt cancellation as an option to the debt exchange programme.
More than two dozen aid and campaign groups have called for international creditors to cancel a large portion of Ghana’s debts as it struggles to contend with an economic crisis.
The government asked to restructure its bilateral debt under the G20 common framework platform – launched in 2020 to help coordinate debt reprofiling and restructuring this month after announcing it would default on most of its external debt at the end of last year.
But speaking in an interview on Top Story, Thursday, Dr. Asuming said a debt cancellation has a limit to which it can solve the country’s economic challenges due to the chunk of commercial debt.
“We have to understand that a chunk of our debt is commercial so it’s easy to appeal to other governments and also multilateral partners for that kind of forgiveness, but I am not sure that it is feasible to ask what we have borrowed from the international capital market to get that kind of forgiveness.
“In a sense, we can see that option has been explored, but there is a limit to how much that can solve our problem because a huge chunk of our debts is commercial debt.
“We cannot turn to that and say we could just put aside the domestic debt exchange and go for that (debt cancellation),” he said.
Suggesting other options for government, he said “the obvious ones are there, we know that there is a question about cutting Ministers. I still think there is room in addition to cutting the Ministers, we have to think about consolidating some of the government agencies. In addition, we also have to review the efficiency of government spending.”
Meanwhile, the has called for a suspension of the domestic debt exchange programme expected to stabilise the country’s debt.
The Council in a statement dated January 19 signed by its Chairman and Secretary, said it has identified a lapse in the programme which is the lack of consultation with the affected institutions and individuals.
Latest Stories
-
World Cup reality check: Mexico outclass Ghana with 2-0 win in Puebla friendly
16 minutes -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
35 minutes -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
1 hour -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
2 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
3 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
4 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
4 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
4 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
6 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
6 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
6 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
6 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
7 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
7 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
7 hours