The Ghana Federation of Disability Organisation (GFD) says it is happy with government’s decision to include more persons with disabilities in governance.
President of the Organisation, Mawunyor Yakor-Dagbah, in a statement, applauded government for the directive to reserve 30 percent of appointments of Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDAs) to persons with disabilities.
“We have conveyed this pleasant news to our members and branches across the country and urged them to get in touch with their MMDAs to actualise this provision and opportunity,” she said.
Government on December 24, 2019, issued a directive through the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development for the appointment of at least one Person with Disability to all Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies to ensure that a good number of such persons partake in governance.
“We are also pleased with the directive to district authorities to consult the branches of the Federation to “ensure appointees have adequate knowledge and skills to effectively represent the voice of Persons with disabilities in their respective districts.”
They, however, urged government to ensure all MMDAs “comply strictly with this directive contained in the spirit of equity, social inclusion, and with the principle of ‘leaving No One Behind’.”
“We are hopeful that the directive/guidelines will enable us to deepen knowledge and acceptability of disability and Persons with Disabilities and contribute to the development of Disability Inclusive policies and programmes,” they added.
Read full statement below:
- Nurse who was verbally abused by Ashanti Region NSS Boss no longer at Manhyia Hospital – GRNMA
- Moody’s downgrades Ghana to further junk status, warns investors could lose in debt restructuring
- Dubai’s ENOC denies gold-for-oil barter talks with Ghana
- “We’ve been tracking Mohammed Kudus for more than one year” – Barcelona Director
- Ronaldo receives $225m offer to play for Saudi Arabian club
- Why General Arts students are ‘bleeding’ on social media
- 14 pupils receiving treatment after school bus somersaults, falls into a ditch
- 2023 Budget: TUC rejects government’s salary projection of ₵44.9m
- Minority welcomes government’s decision to reintroduce road toll in 2023
- Ato Forson calls out ministers and MPs for abandoning 2023 budget to watch football in Qatar
- Government to reintroduce road toll in 2023
- Executive Board to decide type of financing programme for Ghana – IMF
- Organised Labour rejects 18% salary increment
- Economist defends BoG inflation targeting regime
- Spotify Wrapped: What are Ghanaians listening to in 2022?
- AGI describes new VAT system as distortion to growth
- Ghanaian Furniture Design Company, Tekura features in Black Panther movie
- IMF confirms Ghana’s intention to conduct debt restructuring in 2023
- Qatar 2022: “Kudus is currently the World Cup best player” – Prince Boateng
- Ghana’s topmost CEOs to attend prestigious CEOs business networking cocktail
- Spotify Wrapped 2022: Burna Boy, Black Sherif are the most streamed artistes in Ghana
- We are working to support SMEs to leverage AfCFTA-Gender Minister
- YEA partners INZAG Germany to employ over 700 artisans ￼
- Dansworld Services adjudged best Environment and Sanitation company at 2022 AGI awards
- “2006 World Cup Squad was not afraid of games” – Appiah