Audio By Carbonatix
The Biden administration will be giving elderly Americans a second Covid-19 booster shot, multiple people familiar with the plan told The New York Times.
Those above the age of 50 will be able to get a second booster of either the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines.
However, multiple issues complicate the plan as the administration has to calculate when the next Covid-19 wave could hit the U.S., sources told the Times.
The administration will want to get the second booster to the elderly before another wave hits, but not too far before that protection could wane.
Other complications include how to explain the plan to the public and how long the second booster's protection will remain strong, the Times noted.
White House adviser Anthony Fauci said last week that COVID-19 cases could begin increasing in the coming weeks.
"I would not be surprised if in the next few weeks we see somewhat of either a flattening of our diminution or maybe even an increase," Fauci said on the ABC News podcast "Start Here."
However, it is unclear how dangerous this wave could be compared to past increases as the BA.2 variant begins to become the dominant strand in the U.S.
The Hill has reached out to the White House for comment.
Latest Stories
-
I’ll consider review — Oppong Nkrumah hints at next move after Supreme Court dismisses injunction
4 minutes -
Bodies of two hikers missing for decades found after Swiss glacier melts
20 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: North East Region denied one-eighth stage as Kumasi High kicks out Nalerigu
23 minutes -
Useless Column: ‘Weytin do Akosua?’
27 minutes -
Context Matters: Understanding the Tony Elumelu First-Name Debate – Afanyi Dadzie writes
30 minutes -
Microwaving is safe, but minimise aluminium foil use – Food Scientist advices
37 minutes -
Supreme Court clears way for legal vacation criminal trials, dismisses Oppong Nkrumah’s injunction bid
52 minutes -
Restaurant portions, surplus food worsening Ghana’s food waste problem — Food Scientist
1 hour -
NPP extends 2026 National Officers Elections filing deadline to August 29
1 hour -
NDC has not shown it can manage power sector effectively — Fiifi Boafo
1 hour -
Ghana secured US$2.6bn FDIs in 2025 – GIPC Report
1 hour -
GRIDCo restores power nationwide after August 20 blackout, says grid strengthening measures ongoing
1 hour -
Journalism must prioritise public interest over attention — Kwesi Pratt
2 hours -
Ghana Mineworkers Union demand suspension of contract mining directive, threaten industrial action
2 hours -
ADB Ghana Medicals constructing and equipping new Cardiothoracic Centre at Komfo Anokye
3 hours