Russian and Belarusian players will not be allowed to compete at Wimbledon this year because of the invasion of Ukraine.
Men’s world number two Daniil Medvedev of Russia and women’s world number four Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus are the highest-ranked players to be affected.
Players from both countries have been allowed to compete on the tennis tour but not under their national flags.
Wimbledon takes place from 27 June to 10 July.
It is understood the All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) will confirm the move later on Wednesday.
Sabalenka reached the semi-finals of last year’s tournament, while Medvedev reached the fourth round.
Russian world number 15 Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova – who called for the war to stop earlier this year – and 18th-ranked Victoria Azarenka of Belarus will also miss out.
Russia’s Andrey Rublev is eighth in the men’s standings, with compatriot Karen Khachanov 26th.
They will all still be able to compete at the French Open, which begins in May.
The AELTC, which organises the grass-court Grand Slam, consulted the government in April about whether to allow players to compete.
Sports minister Nigel Huddleston previously said “nobody flying the flag for Russia should be allowed” to play at Wimbledon.
However, WTA head Steve Simon told BBC Sport in March that he did not believe players from the two countries should be banned from tournaments.
Russia was previously banned from defending its Davis Cup and Billie Jean King Cup team titles after the country’s invasion of Ukraine – a military operation supported by Belarus.
Olga Savchuk, who captained Ukraine in last week’s Billie Jean King Cup tie against the USA, said Russian players should be banned from competing.
“It cannot just be a sanction against 90% of the Russian people and 10% not,” Savchuk told the New York Times.
“It has to be even and I think it is collective guilt.”
The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) and the men’s association (ATP) have suspended their combined event scheduled to take place in Moscow in October.
The International Tennis Federation (ITF) has also cancelled its events in the country.
- Sacked police chief arrested in connection with $150m corruption scandal
- Couple crushed to death on their engagement day
- I was 5 months pregnant when I found out my boyfriend was gay
- Florida nabs largest python ever found in state
- Influencers’ Block: An African mother’s zip forced ‘Kofi ne Ama’ to break the internet
- Ablakwa’s claim of Akufo-Addo flying ‘Luxury Monster’ inaccurate – Presidency
- My biggest fear before marriage was ‘chop money’ – McDan
- Khaby Lame becomes world’s most-followed TikToker
- Anny Osabutey: Why the smell of Akpeteshie is difficult to shake off
- Albert Kwabena Dwumfour elected GJA president
Enimil Ashon: Osafo Maafo taking NPP to opposition?￼￼
MTN celebrates 12 years of Ashantifest with exciting activities
WAFU B U-17 tournament: Black Starlets win bronze after beating Ivory Coast
NFL star Ezekiel Ansah donates to 14 health centres in Akropong
Ghana to get a comprehensive haematology and sickle cell centre – Project lead
I never said Akufo-Addo travelled in D-Alex – Ablakwa
McDan justifies ‘a woman’s money is not her husband’s’ comment
Eugene Arhin cannot justify Akufo-Addo’s ‘Luxury Monster’ flight – Ablakwa
Albert Kwabena Dwumfour elected GJA president
Morocco commended for progress made in women’s rights
GCB Bank management meets chief executive of AMA
I have what it takes to be president of Ghana – Michael Blackson
TikTok is not killing my music – Fameye
CIMG to conduct surveys for insurance industry, others; holds 32nd AGM
My biggest fear before marriage was ‘chop money’ – McDan