Audio By Carbonatix
The Football Association of Zambia has confirmed to the Confederation of African Football that they intend to resume their domestic football season next month, subject to approval by health authorities in the country.
CAF had set Tuesday as the date by when countries should confirm whether they will continue or stop their domestic seasons suspended to curb the spread of the covid-19.
With 10 rounds of games remaining in the main Zambian league, any of the top five sides could win the title as they are separated by a one point margin.
FAZ President Andrew Kamanga has told BBC Africa that in such a situation the best way forward is to complete the league.
“We want the champion to come out of the pitch, rather than a boardroom decision,” he said.
He however said any resumption will depend on if the pandemic subsides, and it will be guided by health authorities in Zambia.
“We are mindful of the corona challenge - we would not want to compromise the lives of footballers, officials or other people involved in the game. Ultimately the overriding point is there is no life worth loosing on account of football.”
The Zambia Super league was suspended on 20 March, as a precaution in curbing the spread of the deadly virus.
It is a very tight race with the leading pack of five separated by a margin of only one point.
Forest Rangers are top on the table with 46 points from 24 games. Second placed Napsa stars have played one more game than the third, fourth and fifth teams; which means cancellation of the league would be very complicated.
Even 10th placed side Zanaco have a chance of a top four finish and an opportunity to take part in continental competitions, as they have three games at hand.
So far seven African countries have ended their leagues prematurely due to Covid-19.
Latest Stories
-
Stronger research, industry linkages needed to build a competitive digital economy – Deloitte Technology Senior Manager
4 minutes -
Economy experience high but unbalanced growth from mid-2000 to 2022 debt crisis – Former 1st Deputy Governor
20 minutes -
Tell Your Story: Political, business and industry leaders to share journey with young Ghanaians
29 minutes -
‘Gold cannot save you at 2am’ – Obuobia Darko challenges mining giants to invest in healthcare
38 minutes -
Wontumi’s incarceration will not stop his chairmanship bid – Palgrave
46 minutes -
Eurobond borrowings over 2007-2021 used for budget financing; Ghana borrowed US$15.59bn – Opoku-Afari
51 minutes -
Newborn baby found in dustbin at Kasoa Main Station toilet
56 minutes -
Ghanaian skincare brand KAEME wins DHL ESG Excellence Exporter of the Year award
2 hours -
Ho Communique: Democracy Not for Sale
2 hours -
National Health Insurance Levy Uncapped: The Game Changer  Â
2 hours -
Akwatia MP accuses Minority of shifting GoldBod debate from facts to personal attacks
2 hours -
Gov’t to spend GH¢2.8bn on secondary infrastructure as Education Minister pushes foundational learning
2 hours -
This is the result of GoldBod activities – Akim Oda MP demand answers over $1.7bn loss
3 hours -
Photos: Sammy Gyamfi at Government Accountability Series
3 hours -
Ghana School of Law SRC President-elect petitions authorities for relief for referred students
3 hours