Professional Ghanaian Boxer Bukom Banku has confirmed that he is bleaching his skin.
According to the boxer, he is bleaching for Ghana's President, John Manama, to make him Ghana's ambassador to Germany after winning the 2016 general election.
In an interview on Radio Gold’s Home Touch entertainment programme on Thursday, the boxer said "I am bleaching my skin because when John Mahama wins 2016 elections, he will make me Ghana's ambassador to Germany. I am bleaching myself for German people to know that German people and Bukom Banku are one," he said.
Bukom Banku continued: "Bleaching can't affect my skin because I have a very good skin. Again, rashes can't affect me because I am using Cleaning Claire and I am taking medicine as well. So if you see me now, you will observe that I am from Germany. I want Ghanaians to know that I am a German now. I am at Ho right now with the President, John Mahama, at Okudzeto Ablakwa's constituency.
"If I don't bleach they won't give me that position…and if you see me now I look fresh because of President John Mahama," he added.
Bukom Banku's confirmation comes after photos of his bleached skin went viral on social media on Wednesday. Many people criticised him while others wondered if the photos were products of Photoshop.
But the boxer said people should not be concerned about his decision to bleach: "People shouldn't be worried. I am changing my system for a while. I want to tell Ghanaians not to worry about me. I will bleach till August and then stop."
The boxer added that he has put his boxing career on hold in order to campaign for John Mahama's NDC party to retain political power.
He said if the president does not win, he would go back to boxing.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Don’t marry a woman who cannot cook – Kwesi Arthur's dad to son
- Partnering musicians as a producer is key – Jayso
- First edition of Miss United Continents, Ghana launched
- David Bolton releases visuals for ‘Odo Fofro’ featuring Samini
- Nominees for 2019 Hospitality Awards unveiled
- Musiga elections postponed to July 10
- Absolute Worship comes off July 7
- We need to stop the beef - Strongman Burner
- Media made slay queens popular - Ama K. Abebrese
- ‘Ups and Downs’ not a diss song - Strongman
- BET Awards: Stars pay tribute to Nipsey Hussle
- Rap battle: Medikal vs Strongman, who won?
- 2019 EMY Africa Awards: Full list of Winners
- Class, style, persona; Nat Attoh hosts 3rd EMY Africa Award
- DJ Switch to support Cape Coast school with educational materials