Abedi Ayew, popularly known as Abedi Pele, turns 57 today. The former Ghanaian captain is regarded as one of the greatest African footballers of all time.
He played for several European clubs and found his fame in the French Ligue 1 with Lille and Marseille, the latter where he won the UEFA Champions League in 1993, among other titles.
Here are 10 incredible facts put together by the Joy Sports team to commemorate Abedi Pele, who celebrates his 57th birthday today.
- Abedi Pele provided one assist during the 1992/93 Champions League campaign, it was the assist to Basile Boli that helped Marseille lift the Champions League trophy.
- Abedi Pele won two French Division 1 (now Ligue 1) titles with Marseille.
- Abedi Pele was voted African Footballer of the Year three (3) times during his career; only two players have won the award more times: Samuel Eto’o and Yaya Toure.
- On 4th March 2004, Abedi Pele was named in the FIFA 100 list. FIFA 100 is a list of Pelé’s choice of the “greatest living footballers”. Pele was the only Ghanaian on the list.
- Abedi Pele scored 5 goals in the African Cup of Nations during his National Team career.
- Abedi Pele scored 6 goals during Marseille’s 1992/93 season, he finished as the 4th highest goalscorer for Marseille.
- Abedi Pele scored 7 goals in 8 appearances for Al-Sadd after joining the Qatar side in the 1982/83 season for a $1,000 dollar fee.
- Abedi Pele played in the Benin Premier League back in 1984, he made 8 appearances for Dragons l’Ouémé.
- Abedi scored 9 goals in 18 appearances with FC Zurich in the Nationalliga A (now Swiss Super League) in 1984.
- He was showered with key career honors including; three times African Footballer of the Year, two times French League winner, one time Champions League winner, one time AFCON winner, one time AFCON Golden Ball winner and one time BBC African Footballer of the Year.
- #OccupyJulorBiHouse: Celebrities react, advocate for release of arrested protestors
- Mohbad’s body exhumed for autopsy — Police
- #OccupyJulorBiHouse: Bridget Otoo, other reporters assaulted
- Use of brute force on protesters regrettable – NDC
- #OccupyJulorBiHouse: 49 arrested for unlawful assembly – Police
- Angus Cloud’s cause of death revealed nearly 2 months after ‘Euphoria’ star dies at 25
- Inclusion of AU in G20 provides opportunity to push for reforms – Ken Ofori-Atta
- Sophie Turner sues Joe Jonas, demands kids be returned to England after being ‘wrongfully detained’ amid split
- India suspends visas for Canadians as row escalates
- Africa should prioritise intra-regional trade to help ensure food security – AGRA president
- Strive to live up to Nkrumah’s ideals by fostering intra-continental trade – Mahama
- #OccupyJulorBiHouse: Arrest of protesters unnecessary, undemocratic – Naana Opoku-Agyemang
- #FixTheCountry calls for release of arrested protestors in #OccupyJulorBiHouse demonstration
- Tanker Owners Union raises concern over influx of over influx Chinese trucks
- Rwandan serial killer who hid bodies in kitchen pleads guilty