Two people have been left injured following an alleged dynamite blast at Santa Maria in Accra.
It is still unknown what triggered the incident but residents in the area say they are living in fear.
The explosion is said to have happened around 3 pm on Tuesday afternoon.
A lady identified as Gladys Fiavi, is said to have been caught up in the blast; resulting in the removal of her toe nails.
In an attempt to rescue Gladys, a pregnant woman who visited the scene fell unconsciously and was sent to the hospital for medical attention.
In an interview with JoyNews, the assemblyman for the area explained that he got wind of the incident, after which he rushed to the place where the explosion occurred.
“The issue happened at a suburb of Santa Maria; it’s a polling station used for voting. Around 3 o’clock [in the afternoon], yesterday, I had a call from one of the residents complaining that there is an explosion in the area, something like a dynamite blast.
“I had to rush to the scene, and I reported to NADMO and all the stakeholders involved. We went to the scene but unfortunately, we couldn’t even locate where the blast came from but they [residents] just heard a blast from the ground,” Nana Kofi Boandwoah said.
Eyewitnesses who helped in transporting the wounded lady to the Anyaa Polyclinic said they have never seen anything like that happen in the area before.
Due to this, the residents have cordoned off the area where the explosion took place to prevent others from going near the site.
Meanwhile, the Assemblyman says “the Police and the NIB and other security agencies are undertaking investigations into the incident.”
“I would like to appeal to the necessary quarters and the stakeholders involved to come to our aid and solve this issue once and for all because we don’t know when it’s going to happen again,” he added.
The injured are said to be responding to treatment.
- West Hills Mall death: Shop manager remanded
- Ablakwa kicks court writ on the ground upon service by bailiff
- Rev Kusi Boateng injuncts Ablakwa from further publications on him
- Growing list of companies ordered by GRA to pay back-taxes
- GOIL attributes drop in diesel price to Gold for Oil barter deal
- Rev Victor Kusi Boateng sues Ablakwa for defamation
- I’ve instructed my lawyers to act on Rev Kusi Boateng’s injunction against me – Ablakwa
- Check out Akufo-Addo’s reaction as Black Sherif performs for him
- Diana Hamilton reveals why she won’t talk about National Cathedral
- Ex-policeman gets death penalty for lawyer’s murder
- Musk found not guilty of fraud over Tesla tweet
- Man shot by police was cleaning out – family
- Number of staff suing Twitter ‘goes up daily’ – lawyer
- Nursing and Midwifery institutes prioritising theory over practical skills – Oncologist
- I started smoking at the age of 11 – Musician OJ Blaq reveals
- Ebenezer Kojo Kum resigns as Chieftaincy Minister
- President Akufo-Addo accepts Chieftaincy Minister’s resignation
- Livestream: One-on-one with Seth Terkper on PM Express
- I did national service in Aliu Mahama’s office despite being NDC member – Sam George
- Flora Tissue grants renowned actor Fred Amugi’s 74th birthday wish
- I’m unable to confirm whether 1st gold for oil consignment was paid in cash – Deputy BoG Governor
- I’ll later explain my comment about people who watch movies for long hours – Yaw Dabo
- University of Ghana VC must go – Concerned students demand
- Groundworks underway for construction of modern film studios in Ghana, West Africa – Idris Elba
- GRA withdraws $672m back-tax demand from MTN Group