Black Stars bounced back to winning ways on Monday, November 28, as they defeated South Korea in their second Group H game.
A brace from Mohammed Kudus and another from Mohammed Salisu saw Otto Addo’s side pick up their first points of the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
After a nervy start to the game, the Black Stars found their mojo after the 20th-minute mark with the midfield taking control of the game.
However, the opening goal came 24 minutes into the game with Jordan Ayew creating the chance from a free-kick he won in South Korea’s half.
The Crystal Palace forward sent into the penalty box a troubling cross with Mohammed Salisu pouncing on the loose ball after Andre Ayew’s contact to open the scoring.
The goal was the Southampton star’s second goal in the last three appearances for the national team having scored against Switzerland in an international friendly before the start of the World Cup.
Jordan then set up Mohammed Kudus for the game’s second goal and put the Black Stars in a comfortable position heading into the break.
Back from recess, Ghana looked certain to continue their dominance with Tariq Lamptey finding the first chance for Ghana. But his effort was far from troubling the South Korea goalkeeper.
That failed effort looked to have been the turning point as South Korea scored two quick goals to level the score.
Gue-Sung Cho beat Salisu to head past Lawrence Ati-Zigi to pull one back while he also rose above Gideon Mensah for the equalizer three minutes later.
While the Black Stars looked to have lost their confidence, a moment of brilliance saw Mensah drive forward and cut back for Inaki Williams, who couldn’t shoot into the net but Kudus was on the end and curled the ball past the goalkeeper to restore Ghana’s lead.
Despite late attempts from the Koreans, the game ended 3-2 with Ghana earning a vital win in Group H.
Otto Addo’s side will now face Uruguay in their last game looking to secure qualification to the next stage of the competition.
- Akufo-Addo reshuffles ministers
- Turkey earthquakes: Ghana star Christian Atsu found after 26 hours under rubble
- Businessman Ibrahim Mahama to fund treatment, education of former NSMQ ‘Shark’
- He said just the ‘tip’, but now I’m pregnant; the story of a university fresher
- DDEP: We’ll continue to converge there until we’re exempted – Dr. Anane Antwi
- 40 Ejuraman students injured in dining structure collapse
- Accra-Tema Motorway no longer fits definition of motorway – NRSA
- Full text: Finance Minister’s speech on DDEP deadline eve
- Turkey earthquake: Ghanaian students recount horror
- College head found dead with husband and daughter
- Gospel artiste OJ Blaq wants to be featured on secular concerts
- We need reduction in appointees, not reshuffle – Dr Amoako Baah tells Akufo-Addo
- Economist advises individual bondholders not to invest in DDEP
- My dad, Culture, never died on stage in Germany – Kenyatta Hill
- 3 persons remanded over alleged kidnapping
- 28 of 47 students of Ejuraman Anglican SHS discharged from Hospital
- I’m your biggest fan – DJ Khaled tells Tems
- Akufo-Addo nominates Abetifi MP for Agric Ministry
- Bole: Family of murdered herdsman demand justice, appeals to CJ
- Death in a military operation is not unexpected – Security Analyst on Bawku killings
- Tems speaks on Grammy win, working with Future, Drake, others
- Bank manager arrested for ‘hoarding’ new Nigerian notes
- GES, Education Ministry to release academic calendar for SHS
- Kenyan school shaves off female students’ long hair
- Assayer in court over $18m gold scam