The first half of 2021 has recorded 4 bullion van attacks.
JoyNews checks reveal that in 3 of the incidents, the robbers bolted away with the cash on board the vehicles.
In two of the cases, the police officers escorting the van lost their lives
- On January 18, some highway robbers numbering about 10, attacked a bullion van travelling on a section of the Adansi Fomena road in the Ashanti Region and an amount of GHC500,000 was stolen.
- Sources indicate that the van, with registration number GT 543-19, was attacked around 10:30 AM on the Adansi Fomena Road.
- The driver of the vehicle survived while the police officer escorting the van was killed, His AK47 assault rifle was stolen.
- In broad day light on March 1, a bullion van belonging to a popular bank was robbed on the Spintex Road at Baatsona near the Danpong Hospital by some armed men numbering about 4 according to eyewitnesses.
- Sources say that the incident happened around 3:30 PM.
- Around the said time, a Black Toyota Camry overtook the van and blocked its way. An occupant of the Camry immediately came down and gave a warning shot into the air.
- The driver of the bullion van and one official from the bank escaped while the escorting police officer was assaulted by the robbers.
- The robbers broke into the van and escaped with the money.
- The month of June though hasn’t ended, has recorded two bullion van attacks in a span of 3 days.
- The first incident happened on June 14. A bullion van was attacked at Adedenkpo near James Town in Accra.
- A young police officer escorting the van and a woman were killed. The driver of the vehicle sustained serious injuries and the robbers bolted with the money.
- The second attack happened on June 17. Passengers in a bullion Van with registration number GN 6956- 17 were attacked on the Winneba-Accra highway.
- The unknown assailants shot at the van at the Okyereko and Dominase portion of the Winneba-Accra stretch.
- Aside the driver, the van was occupied by two policemen with an amount of ¢550,000 on board.
- Fortunately for them, they escaped the gunshots and were rescued by the Winneba Divisional Police who escorted them back to Accra.
- ‘Things to buy for Our Day’ – How a pupil’s petition to his mother became a national emergency
- Our Day list: Oswald’s mother explains why her son mentioned Mrs Appiah
- Police arrest suspected criminals in swoop, retrieve weapons in Kumasi
- I will win hands down even against Asiedu Nketia – Assin North NPP parliamentary candidate
- Our Day list: I have a habit of forgetting, that is why my son wrote a letter – Mother
- Our Day list: Naana Opoku Agyemang pledges iPad Pro to Oswald
- Free SHS: Akufo-Addo hints at more budgetary allocation to education sector to address access and infrastructure
- Collins Dauda faces criminal charges over Saglemi Housing project
- This is my best Our Day – Boy who wrote wishlist to mother
- Parliament approves Kissi Agyebeng for Special Prosecutor
Haruna Iddrisu questions Kissi Agyebeng’s independence as Special Prosecutor
Covid-19: No antigen testing equipment is 100% with sensitivity and specificity – Dr Ayew Afriyie
Alleged phone thief chops off owner’s 4 fingers
Ghana deserves a national cathedral – Razak Opoku
Winners from 1xBet’s Prize Hunt final draw from Ghana received their well-deserved rewards
Our Day List: Photos from Oswald’s new world
Ato Forson alleges government paid GH¢16m for Sputnik V vaccines
Health Ministry receives Antigen test machines and kits for testing Covid-19
Mahama and Lordina celebrate 29th marriage anniversary
I was privileged but not lucky as a child – President of Academic City College
Court of Appeal allows Nii Amanor Dodoo as Unibank Receiver until appeal against High Court ruling is heard
Scarlett Johansson sues Disney over ‘Black Widow’ streaming release
Collins Dauda faces criminal charges over Saglemi Housing project
European Super League: Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus ‘will continue with plans’
Health Minister prioritised safety over procedures – Group backs Agyeman-Manu