Five Policemen who allegedly robbed a student and businessman of GH₵20,000.00 at gun point at East Legon, Accra have been remanded into Police custody by an Accra Circuit Court.
The policemen from the national Deployment Force (RDF) at the national headquarters are also said to have offered their case investigator of GH₵2,500.00 bribe to help them cover up the matter.
General Lance Corporal Redeemer Agama, General Constables Wishwell Odoo, Evans Amwagsi, Lawat Agyapong and Sena Kuvordo.
Accused are facing charges of conspiracy to commit crime namely robbery, robbery and conspiracy to commit crime to wit: giving bribe to influence public officer.
They have denied the charges and are expected to reappear on June 9 before the court presided over by Mrs. Rosemond Torsu.
Prosecution led by Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Evans Kesse informed the court that they need some to conduct further investigations into the matter.
Based on the prosecution’s the court remanded accused persons.
Mr Yaw Danquah and Andrew Kudzo Vortia represented accused persons in court.
The facts as presented before the court are that the complainant, Jeffery Mackeon Yeboah, is a student and a businessman, while Accused persons who are with the RDF Unit, usually performed vehicular patrol duties.
Prosecution said on May 24, this year, at about 0200 hours, the complainant was on board an Uber taxi around UPSA area when accused persons were on Operation Calm Life Police Service vehicle with arms meant for night patrol.
Prosecution said the policemen forced the victim (complainant) into a Police patrol vehicle and accused him of scamming.
According to the Prosecutor, accused persons threatened the complainant with harm and asked to hand over every penny on him as they drove him from Madina to Awudome cemetery, near Kaneshie.
Prosecution said accused persons threatened the complainant if he failed to hand over GH₵20,000.00 on him.
According to the prosecutor, the accused persons, ordered the complainant to transfer the cash from his bank account through online banking system into his mobile money account.
“Accused persons continued to hold the victim hostage at Kwame Nkrumah Circle and a civilian joined them in the Police Patrol vehicle.
The victim acting on instructions of the accused persons amidst threats and harm transferred cash in the sum of GH₵20,000.00 from his Ecobank Account,” the Prosecutor said.
Prosecution said having robbed the victim (complainant) of his money deleted the transaction records on his phone and accused drove him to Kwame Nkrumah Circle and forced him into a taxi.
Accused asked the taxi driver to drive his vehicle without looking back.
The prosecutor said a report was made to the Police and investigations led to the arrest of the Policemen and the cash of GH₵20,000.00 was also retrieved.
Prosecution said after the arrest of the policemen, they bribed the case investigator with cash in the sum of GH₵2,500.00 to cover them up in the case.
Prosecution said an itemized bill has been sent to Abeka District court for disclosures and efforts are underway to arrest their civilian accomplice whose mobile money account was used to facilitate the crime.
- I have received calls to stop disconnection exercise – ECG boss
- Bride ‘faints’ briefly as Joe Mettle pops up at her wedding reception
- George Addo Jnr appointed Director of Communications at UK’s Coach Hene Sports Club
- Ato Forson was criminally reckless in ambulance transaction – Attorney General
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- Ghana Immigration Service cancels filling of embarkation and disembarkation forms
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- Fitch upgrades Ghana’s rating to ‘CCC’
- IMF bailout to depend on government’s ability to achieve 55% of debt to GDP – Fitch
- Mahama calls for the intensification of stakeholder efforts, engagement on NACAP
- John Mahama recommends Public Funding of Political Parties Bill to regulate political financing
- Ghana Chamber of Mines censures Golden Star attacks, worried over upsurge of violence against mines
- Ex-President Kufuor urges his scholars to exhibit high levels of integrity
- Boris Johnson clashes with MPs over Partygate denials
- U.S. launches 5-year $5 million patnership with NHIA to improve quality of healthcare, digitisation, and access
- Bolt donates to 2 institutions as part of CSR activities
- North Dayi health directorate holds 2022 annual performance review meeting
- Livestream: PM Express discusses EC’s neutrality
- FWSC working on linking salary to productivity – Benjamin Arthur
- ECG doesn’t have means to prove power theft – Lawyer
- Endeavour to build quality homes – GREDA to members
- Poverty is our enemy; peace and development are our objectives -VP Bawumia
- Alan pays for printing of albums for 200,000 delegates
- Joy Prime premieres new telenovela ‘The Rich Also Cry’ on April 3, 2023