An eight-year-old girl, on Saturday night, drowned in a cesspit.
The incident happened at Bamahu in the Wa municipality of the Upper West Region.
The cesspit was left open after the sewage was extracted earlier, according to reports.
An eyewitness told JoyNews that their attention was drawn to the victim’s mother who was crying when the child fell into the pit.
Following this, they sought help to help save her.
However, by the time they got a ladder to rescue the girl, it was too late.
The body of the girl whose name has been given as Maafaaza Abu was later retrieved from the cesspit but after confirmed dead at the Wa Municipal Hospital.
The deceased is the daughter of the hostel’s caretaker.
JoyNews Upper West regional correspondent, Rafiq Salam reports that there are several cesspits dotted in the municipality which are left open.
“It is dangerous to the residents because there are other small girls and even if you are walking in the darkness we wouldn’t see,” a resident said.
The body has since been buried in accordance with Islamic customs.
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- Brother stands in as groom skips wedding to train
- Ghana’s debt stock up ¢9bn to ¢402.4bn in July 2022 – BoG
- Akufo-Addo’s fight against illegal mining is a complete ‘419’ – Sammy Gyamfi
- Daniel Afriyie Barnieh to run down Hearts contract as he rejects new deal
- Parliament warns Herald Editor to cease exposés on controversial GNPC/Genser Energy contract
- British officials release date for King Charles III’s coronation
- Black Sherif’s ‘Soja’ debuts on Billboard’s US Afrobeats Chart
- FDA concurs with WHO’s caution against four substandard paediatric medicines found in The Gambia
- Increase price of bag of cocoa to ¢1,500 or we smuggle it – Farmers
- ‘I have given up on dating; guys do not take me seriously’ – Comedienne Jacinta
- Kuami Eugene grabs 2022 BMI London award
- Former Arsenal star Emmanuel Petit calls for Thomas Partey backup in January
- Bawumia has been a disaster as head of economic management team – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
- People like our union – Shatta Wale on why he requested to collaborate with Michy
- Qatar 2022: Ghana vs Uruguay not a ‘revenge’ game – Andre Ayew
- Malta Guinness WPL: Ridge City take on Essiam Socrates; Pearlpia face Prisons Ladies on Day 1
- I think Black Sherif is Bob Marley reincarnate – Sonnie Badu
- Prudential Bank leads conversation on Pan-African Payment and Settlement System
- Midweek performance wrap of Ghanaian players in Europe
- Exhibit customer-centric services in your daily operations – British Council to organisations
- Government consciously shielding main culprit in Bulgarian Embassy demolition – Ablakwa
- ‘I’m fed up’ – aspiring NDC chairman backs calls to oust incumbent Ofosu Ampofo, Asiedu Nketia
- One dead in Tetegu floods
- #BigBrotherNaija records over 19m tweets by fans￼