Audio By Carbonatix
Nine people died and one person was missing after a speedboat carrying 15 refugees sank off the coast of Turkey’s southern province of Antalya on Sunday, Turkish coastguard said.
It also said, five people were rescued by the Turkish coastguard and fishermen.
Europe has faced a migrant crisis since 2015 following wars in Libya and Syria, with more than 1 million people from Africa and the Middle East attempting to reach the continent via Turkey or by sea.
Since then, the main eastern Mediterranean route between Turkey and Greece has been largely shut by a deal between the European Union and Ankara.
According to the International Organization for Migration’s Missing Migrants Project, over 2000 migrants deaths were reported in the Mediterranean between January and August 2017.
Latest Stories
-
Ebola outbreak poses massive challenges, warns nurse
40 minutes -
Bolivian minister’s convoy ambushed while overseeing roadblock clearance
1 hour -
One killed and many feared trapped under collapsed building in Philippines
1 hour -
Trump tells US negotiators ‘not to rush’ into deal with Iran
2 hours -
Conte to leave Napoli a year after winning Serie A
2 hours -
Iraola signs off after writing new Bournemouth chapter
2 hours -
Fifi Folson marks 20 years on air with Thanksgiving Service, launches teen gospel initiative
2 hours -
The moment that broke Guardiola on day a decade of glory ended
2 hours -
Raducanu beaten in French Open first round
2 hours -
Sabalenka cuts media short as French Open players protest
2 hours -
Ghana’s Jada Yankey clocks new personal best at AP Race London International
3 hours -
GPL 2025/26: Berekum Chelsea end season on high with win over Bechem
3 hours -
Alleged shooting of chief’s brother by galamseyers triggers tension at Gwira Ampansie
3 hours -
Livestream: The Probe examines New Decentralisation Policy
4 hours -
Enterprise Insurance pays over GH¢280m in claims in 2025
4 hours