Audio By Carbonatix
Ninety-eight New Patriotic Party (NPP) Members of Parliament have resolved to boycott the budget presentation and all Finance Ministry-related business should the President refuse to sack Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta immediately.
This new number is an increase from the previous 80 NPP MPs who had earlier demanded the removal of the Finance Minister and the Minister of State at the Finance Ministry, Charles Adu-Boahen.
According to the Member of Parliament for Asante Akyem North, Andy Appiah-Kubi, who doubles as spokesperson for the group, Ofori-Atta’s position in government has become untenable, hence the fresh demand for his resignation.
His comment comes after the group had earlier relaxed its demand following a meeting with the President, Nana Akufo-Addo.
In a statement signed by Majority Leader, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu, President Akufo-Addo had appealed for the sector minister to be allowed to stay till after the budget presentation and appropriation of same, to which the MPs had agreed.
However, with the Finance Minister now facing a vote of censure from the Minority side of Parliament, the NPP MPs are convinced it is time for him to leave.
Speaking on JoyNews’ PM Express, Appiah-Kubi said, “We’ve gone back to (our demand for the President to) sack him now and therefore should the budget be presented under the stamp of the Finance Minister, we’ll not participate because as far as we’re concerned we’re never going to do business with him.
“And if we’re not going to do business with him, he does not participate in any process from the Presidency to the House. We will not participate in deliberations too.”
He noted that the only way the President will get them to participate in the budget presentation and appropriation is if someone else from government is appointed to present the budget.
“We’re not saying we won’t do President’s business. We’re saying we won’t do President’s business through Ofori-Atta. So if anybody else comes with President’s business, we’ll participate,” he said.
Mr. Andy Appiah-Kubi also told host, Evans Mensah that the new resolution is the outcome of a meeting held on Tuesday, November 15, which was attended by 98 NPP MPs to reconsider their collective position after they agreed to relax their initial stance.
Latest Stories
-
Panic in Sunyani: Chiefs to perform rituals after mystery deaths of two successive headteachers
2 hours -
The party has lost ground – Paul Afoko breaks long silence to launch NPP comeback
2 hours -
“It is worrying” – Prof. Akosa sounds alarm over failing medical ethics
3 hours -
World Cup reality check: Mexico beat fringe Black Stars 2-0 in Puebla friendly
3 hours -
Black Stars lose 2-0 to Mexico in pre-World Cup friendly in Puebla
4 hours -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
4 hours -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
4 hours -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
5 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
5 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
7 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
7 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
8 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
8 hours -
Lupita Nyong’o rejects criticism of Helen of Troy role
9 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
9 hours