Audio By Carbonatix
The Sports Minister has put the expenditure on AFCON 2019 at $4.5million, the same amount paid as prize money for the winner, Algeria.
Isaac Asiamah briefing Parliament Wednesday, said the country budgeted $6.3million.
But with the Black Stars exit at the 1/16 stage in a match against Tunisia, the country saved $1.7million.
He provided the breakdown of the expenses incurred during Ghana’s participation in the tournament in Egypt which he acknowledged was “below expectations”.
Photo: Expenses covered players, technical staff, MPs on the Youth and Sports Committee of Parliament, staff of the ministry, journalists
He said Ghana hired coach Kwesi Appiah with a “clear mandate” to lead the Black Stars win the trophy and end a 37-year drought.
The minister said the ministry met all the demands of the players and the captain Dede Ayew acknowledged they had received the best of preparation for the tournament.
But the team’s performance was roundly criticised as Ghana drew two games – Benin and Cameroun – and won its last group game against Guinea-Bissau to qualify to the 1/16th stage. This is where the team lost out in a penalty shoot-out to Tunisia.
The loss also meant the Black Stars lost out on the minimum amount in the money zone where a quarter-final berth would have earned Ghana $1million.
Calls for the sacking of the coach have not gone away neither calls for information on the budget for the tournament which remained unknown.
Briefing Parliament Wednesday, the minister indicated the highest budget item was accomodation at $1.14million while visa fees at $8,541 was the lowest.
The minister confirmed, government sent supporters to Egypt to cheer the Black Stars. Ghana football is undergoing a difficult time since it was rocked by a bribery scandal in June 2018.
Since then, a Normalisation Committee has been put in place to organise Ghana football. The minister said the Committee is expected to present a comprehensive report on “what went wrong” in Egypt.
It will help re-organise Ghana football, comprehensively, Isaac Asiamah said.
Latest Stories
-
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
33 seconds -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
4 minutes -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulatorÂ
10 minutes -
GMTF, Atlantic Lifesciences explore local production of cancer and heart medicines
15 minutes -
GHS medical-legal claims hit GH¢400m in three years
21 minutes -
Mahama cautions Ghanaians not to take religious freedom for granted
37 minutes -
We need development pathway, not selection exercise – Sports Minister urges football stakeholders
44 minutes -
Government prioritises foundational learning to improve education outcomes Â
50 minutes -
Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire deepen maritime security cooperation through joint boundary inspection
56 minutes -
Three-hour rainfall exposes poor drainage system in Kadjebi
1 hour -
Ghana, China push AI innovation in healthcare
1 hour -
Give young people skills and the systems to create jobs
1 hour -
Food inflation never responded – Dr Yamson says Ghana must stop throwing money at short-term fixes
2 hours -
Oil set for second weekly rise as unsettled US-Iran war crimps supply
2 hours -
US teen drops lawsuit against Meta, Google and Snap ahead of trial
2 hours