Audio By Carbonatix
Some 582 communities in five regions are expected to benefit from a $103 million electrification agreement between government through the Energy Ministry and China International Water and Electric Corporation.
The Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah disclosed on Wednesday that Cabinet has given approval for the projects in the Ashanti, Bono, Eastern, Volta and Western Regions, a phase two of the initial 1,033 communities.
“The phase one project was earmarked to connect 495 communities in 15 districts of the Ashanti, Eastern, Volta and Western Regions which is about 90 per cent complete with 441 communities already connected to the national grid,” he said.
The Ofoase Ayeribi MP said the money for phase 2 will be used to finance the supply and reception of electrical materials and equipment for the electrification projects in these communities.
The agreement is part of government’s National Electrification Scheme since 1990 which is aimed at reducing poverty, especially in rural areas, increasing the overall socio-economic development of the nation and enhancing the activities in other sectors of the economy such as Agriculture, Health, Education and Tourism.
Mr Oppong Nkrumah explained that, “the scope of the project includes design, manufacture, delivery, installation, testing and commissioning, as well as handing over of the electrification project to the beneficiary communities.”
He said government believes the scheme will also create jobs in the rural areas, thus reducing the rate of rural to urban migration.
“Most importantly contribute significantly towards the achievement of universal access to electricity, a minimum of 90% by 2020,” the Information Minister said.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaians in South Africa pour out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
14 minutes -
‘Mum’s dementia means I live in the moment with her’
23 minutes -
Energy Commission champions Clean Energy Transition
35 minutes -
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
52 minutes -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
1 hour -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
1 hour -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
1 hour -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
2 hours -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
3 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
3 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
3 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
5 hours -
FHU alumnus launches medical textbook
5 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Obeng clinches bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
5 hours -
Rescuers search for more than 20 trapped after Philippines building collapse
5 hours