Audio By Carbonatix
Ashanti Regional Executives of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) says arbitration will commence in 44 constituencies as tension mounts over the disqualification of some parliamentary aspirants.
Seventeen out of 44 sitting MPs are to run unopposed in the impending party's parliamentary primaries scheduled for Saturday, June 20.
This has been the source of tension in various constituencies, as aggrieved members accuse the National Executive Council (NEC) of foul play.
But speaking on Luv FM Tuesday, Regional Secretary, Sam Pyne explained that the disqualification of aspirants was based on three issues.
He indicated that the key one among them is Articles three and four of the party’s constitution which deals with responsibility and duties to the party as well as conduct as members of the party.
Mr Pyne said another issue is the inability of some aspirants to meet the criteria of selection put up by the party.
For some constituency executives, they see the decision of NEC as a deliberate attempt to disqualify certain candidates for sitting MPs to have a field day.
At Asokwa, Constituency Organizer, Eric Osei said the decision to sacrifice key aspirants to protect sitting MP’s will spell doom for the party.
“They should have allowed Patricia Appiagyei to be contested because some of us believe she has done a poor job. An opportunity should have been granted to either give her another term or unseat her,” he said.
Tension started building even before the announcement of approved list of qualified candidates by the party.
Agitations and invocation of curses met news that some aspirants would be disqualified.
But according to the Regional Secretary, these issues among others will receive attention for a committee set for the purpose.
“We need to build bridges and we have a committee for that, we will be looking at arbitration, reconciliation and all that. I will want to appeal to all those who are affected to be truthful with their supporters and calm them down as well”.
Meanwhile, a disqualified aspirant for the Subin Constituency, Frank Duodu said he had been treated unfairly.
This would have been the second time for him to contest in the primaries should he had been passed by the National Executive Committee.
Mr Duodu who is the NADMO Coordinator for Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly noted that his conduct over the years is in conformity with party regulations hence surprised at his disqualification.
He promised to take the necessary measures to be reinstated for the elections.
Presently, incumbent MP Eugene Antwi is being contested by Joseph Boakye Danquah in the constituency.
Latest Stories
-
Divers recover bodies of seven Chinese tourists from bottom of Lake Baikal
52 minutes -
From windstorm to resilience: How Wa school is growing climate protection
1 hour -
Reclaiming the Garden City: Dr. Kwame Adinkrah urges Kumasi to rein in billboard proliferation
2 hours -
Bursar of Ghanata SHS arrested for alleged diversion of student food supplies
2 hours -
Trump says he will increase global tariffs to 15%
2 hours -
Bogoso-Prestea mine records first gold pour after 24-month shutdown
2 hours -
Ghana–ECOWAS talks end with renewed push for women and youth political inclusion
3 hours -
Interior Minister receives Hudai Foundation food donation for prison inmates during Ramadan
3 hours -
UBIDS to benefit from pre-fabricated US$6.6m 1k capacity classroom project
3 hours -
Interior Minister launches Automated Fire Safety Compliance System to enhance public safety
3 hours -
Africa must lead climate intervention conversation – Experts
3 hours -
Ghana hosts high-level ECOWAS meeting to boost women and youth political participation
4 hours -
Canada looks to trade talks after US Supreme Court tosses Trump’s tariffs
5 hours -
Ghana, Burkina Faso sign 7 cooperation agreements to deepen bilateral ties
5 hours -
Duraplast supports Accra sanitation drive with donation of 20 waste bins
5 hours
