Audio By Carbonatix
The National Organiser of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Henry Nana Boakye, has assured the Ghanaian public that the party is fully prepared to conduct a free, fair, transparent, and peaceful presidential primary.
Speaking on JoyNews’ AM Show ahead of the election scheduled for Saturday, Mr Boakye said the leadership of the party had made a firm commitment to ensure the integrity and credibility of the internal contest.
“We are fully prepared for tomorrow. The leadership of the NPP, we have promised our delegates, our party, and Ghana at large one thing—that this election is going to be free, it is going to be fair, it is going to be transparent, credible, and peaceful,” he stated.
He attributed the smooth conduct of the process so far to the work of two key committees established by the party—the Vetting Committee, chaired by former Defence Minister Dr Kwame Addo Kufuor, and the Elections Committee, led by former Member of Parliament Joe Wise.
Mr Boakye said he was satisfied with the operations of both committees, noting that all five presidential aspirants had expressed confidence in the process.
“So far, I am happy, and I am satisfied that all five presidential aspirants have expressed their satisfaction regarding the conduct and operations of the Presidential Elections Committee and the Vetting Committee as well,” he said.
He explained that the committees maintained constant engagement with the aspirants, who were each allowed to nominate two representatives to participate in meetings and raise concerns whenever necessary.
“The Elections Committee carried them through the entire process. They wrote to them; they had two representatives, so anytime they sat and there were any problems at all, they met with the representatives of these presidential aspirants, and all of them have expressed their satisfaction,” he added.
On security arrangements for the primaries, the NPP National Organiser stressed that responsibility for election security rests solely with the Ghana Police Service.
He disclosed that the party had picked up intelligence suggesting that personnel from National Security could be deployed to some voting centres, a move he said the party strongly opposed.
“Regarding the security of the elections, it is solely in the bosom of the Ghana Police Service. Two days ago, we picked intelligence that there will be some deployment from National Security, and we have already come out with a release that we do not want the intrusion, interference, or intervention of National Security. They are not part of this process,” he said.
According to Mr Boakye, the party had been informed that some non-uniformed personnel could be deployed to certain voting centres, but insisted that only the police are mandated by the party’s Presidential Elections Committee to provide security.
“The only body mandated and authorised by the Presidential Elections Committee to handle the security of this election is the Ghana Police Service,” he stressed.
He further revealed that, based on briefings from the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) and his team, military support would only be required in the Bawku enclave, due to the prevailing security challenges in the area.
“Per the briefing we received from the IGP and his team, the only place they have invited the intervention of the military will be the Bawku enclave, and it is for obvious reasons because of the security issues there. That is the only place out of over 300 voting centres,” he explained.
Mr Boakye also alleged that some elements affiliated with the National Democratic Congress (NDC) within National Security could attempt to deploy personnel to disrupt the process.
“There are elements in National Security affiliated to the NDC who would want to deploy men to come and cause some problems,” he claimed.
He added that even the NPP’s own internal security personnel had been instructed to stand down in order to avoid any confusion, as the Ghana Police Service had full responsibility for securing the polls.
“In fact, even for our own internal security, we have told them to rest, simply because the security of the elections is in the hands of the Ghana Police. So we do not want these non-uniform men or any person deployed from National Security or any other institution apart from the Ghana Police,” he said.
His comments come as the NPP is set to hold its presidential primaries on January 31.
The NPP presidential primaries are aimed at selecting the party’s flagbearer who will lead the party into the 2028 polls, a process considered crucial in shaping both the party’s future direction and Ghana’s broader democratic landscape.
The contest for the flagbearer position is expected to see former Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, Kennedy Agyapong, Ing. Kwabena Agyepong, Dr Yaw Osei Adutwum, and Dr Bryan Acheampong vie for the party’s nomination.
Latest Stories
-
PAC urges Finance Ministry to conduct annual audits of gov’t arrears to curb financial irregularities
2 minutes -
S.K. Agyemang launches ‘Menpaebo’ album with Light Seekers
3 minutes -
Punishing perpetrators only way to end electoral violence — Asiedu Nketia
4 minutes -
KN Foundation, partners donate GHC20,000 and items to Nsawam Prison inmates
6 minutes -
Ghana Sports Fund will transform sports infrastructure within five to ten years — NSA boss
10 minutes -
GIB advocates deeper financial sector collaboration for growth
11 minutes -
Children must be supported to discover and develop their talents — Advocate
12 minutes -
One Nation Reggae Festival: Sierra Leone builds cultural bridge between Africa and the Caribbean
13 minutes -
New Metro Mass buses will improve safety, comfort and efficiency — Vice President
14 minutes -
Funny Face declares himself mental health advocate after recovery journey
22 minutes -
KN Foundation outreach: ‘This is not your permanent home’ – Okraku brings hope to Nsawam inmates
30 minutes -
Samson Deen sponsors Para Powerlifting team for African Championship qualification campaign
30 minutes -
Tolon NDC youth petition Asiedu Nketia over killing of party supporter ‘Alhaji’ Haruna Saibu
32 minutes -
Albert Teye wins Kia Ghana World Cup contest grand prize on Joy FM
40 minutes -
Transport Minister urges Metro Mass Transit to strengthen internal capacity for fleet expansion
48 minutes