Audio By Carbonatix
Lebanon's government will impose a two-week lockdown from Saturday to stem a resurgence of Covid-19, even though it will exacerbate a deep economic crisis.
Caretaker Prime Minister Hassan Diab said a "stage of extreme danger" had been reached, with hospitals unable to admit patients in a critical condition.
Restrictions in place between March and June helped limit the initial outbreak.
But the number of new infections soared after the devastating explosion in the capital Beirut in August.
Lebanon to impose new Covid lockdown despite economic cost https://t.co/el2HpRTgLL
— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) November 10, 2020
The health ministry has reported 95,355 confirmed cases of Covid-19 and 732 associated deaths since the start of the pandemic.
In the past month 42,000 people have been infected and 277 have died, despite local lockdowns in dozens of towns and villages, night-time curfews across the country, and the closure of all bars and nightclubs.
In a televised address on Tuesday, Mr Diab explained that the current restrictions were not working and that he had no other choice but to impose a full nationwide lockdown because of the risk of Lebanon's fragile health system being overwhelmed.

"Today, we have reached the red line in the number of infections, and we have reached the stage of extreme danger in light of the inability of government and private hospitals to receive critical cases," he said.
"We are afraid that we will reach a stage where people die in the streets in the absence of places in hospitals to treat the injured, or that there is a trade-off between one person and another."
Mr Diab said the lockdown would start this weekend and continue until 29 November.
The health sector and vital industries would be exempted, he added, without providing details.
He also ruled out closing the country's only international airport, which he did during Lebanon's first lockdown earlier this year.
Latest Stories
-
OLAG crowned winners of ACE Spoken Word Contest
5 minutes -
Medical and Dental Council worried over growing misconduct complaints against health professionals
10 minutes -
Mahama cut sod for construction of 24-hour economy market in Bole
23 minutes -
UNFPA and partners triple fistula repairs but Ghana needs 2,249 a year to meet 2030 target
27 minutes -
Eastern Regional Fire Commander rallies officers to meet 2026 fire safety targets
32 minutes -
Bosomtwe STEM Girls SHS team returns to rousing welcome after World Robofest Championship feat
38 minutes -
Amin Adam warns against politicising banking regulation after GN Savings ruling
1 hour -
GN Savings ruling poses fiscal and financial-stability risks – Amin Adam
1 hour -
Amin Adam calls on BoG and Finance Ministry to explain implications of GN Savings ruling
2 hours -
Restoring GN Savings and Loans will be difficult after years of asset disposal — Dr Kweku Ndoum
2 hours -
Misrepresentation of GN Bank’s financial position led to collapse – Dr Kweku Nduom
2 hours -
Collapse of GN Bank led to loss of over 4,500 jobs — Dr Kweku Ndoum
2 hours -
Arrest and denial of bail being used to intimidate opposition voices — Egyapa Mercer
2 hours -
GN Savings & Loans: Banking sector clean-up could’ve been managed better – Bobby Banson
2 hours -
National Chief Imam urges Ghanaian pilgrims to uphold discipline and unity ahead of 2026 Hajj
2 hours