Audio By Carbonatix
A controversial plan to dig a £2.4bn road tunnel near Stonehenge has been approved by Transport Secretary Grant Shapps.
The A303, notorious for traffic jams, currently runs within a few hundred metres of the world heritage site.
The plan to build a two-mile (3.2km) tunnel out of sight of the monument was approved despite objections.
“Construction is expected to take four to five years. “ #Stonehenge A303 tunnel plan approved by transport secretary https://t.co/TXgv260F24
— Sangita Myska (@BBCSangita) November 12, 2020
The Planning Inspectorate said the decision was made following "careful consideration".
Transport minister Andrew Stephenson announced the decision in a written statement to the commons.
Sarah Richards, the Planning Inspectorate's chief executive, said there had been a "great deal of public interest in this project".
She said: "A major priority for us over the course of the examination was to ensure that communities who might be affected by this proposal had the opportunity to put forward their views.

"As always, the examining authority gave careful consideration to these before reaching its conclusion."
Some environmentalists and archaeologists had voiced their opposition to the plan due to its potential impact on the area.
In June, it emerged that a team of archaeologists had discovered a ring of at least 20 large shafts within the ancient religious monument, a short distance from the stones.
But Highways England said the finds were "well outside the scheme boundary" and no closer than 500 metres from the planned road upgrade.
Chief executive Jim O'Sullivan welcomed the decision and said: "The A303 Stonehenge tunnel project is part of the biggest investment in our road network for a generation.
"This transformational scheme will return the Stonehenge landscape towards its original setting and will improve journey times for everyone who travels to and from the south west."
Construction is expected to take four to five years.
Latest Stories
-
Enterprise Insurance pays over GH¢280m in claims in 2025
7 minutes -
Ato Forson congratulates Benin’s former finance minister on inauguration as President
22 minutes -
GOIL announces GH¢0.06 dividend per share for investors
30 minutes -
BoG policy rate hold confirms inflation to trend upwards – IC Insights
33 minutes -
Photos: Ablakwa meets Ghanaian community in Pretoria
48 minutes -
Rising fuel costs pose risk to Ghana’s inflation outlook – Deloitte
55 minutes -
T-bills: Government records 5.9% undersubscription, but interest rates decline marginally
57 minutes -
Government will not tolerate shoddy road projects – Roads Minister
2 hours -
25/26 GPL: Vision end campaign with win over Aduana
2 hours -
GPL 2025/26: Young Apostles survive relegation with win over Samartex
2 hours -
Gunmen allegedly kidnap teenager at Kabulya near Bimbilla, demand ransom
2 hours -
Fernandes breaks assist record as Brighton land Euro spot despite loss
2 hours -
Sunderland reach Europa League at Chelsea’s expense
2 hours -
Spurs beat Everton to secure Premier League survival
2 hours -
Xenophobia: Ghana to receive first batch of evacuees from South Africa on May 27
3 hours