Audio By Carbonatix
Li Wan-keung escaped the isolation ward by putting a jacket over his hospital clothes and exiting via a stairwell.
A coronavirus patient has been caught by police after escaping from hospital in Hong Kong and spending two days on the run.
Li Wan-keung, initially identified as patient 7379, escaped from the isolation ward at the city's Queen Elizabeth Hospital on Friday, sparking a police manhunt.
COVID-19: Coronavirus patient caught after going on the run from Hong Kong hospital https://t.co/5HNzsHTmwD
— Sky News (@SkyNews) December 21, 2020
According to police, the 63-year-old managed to make his exit by placing a jacket over his hospital clothes and leaving the ward via a stairwell.Advertisement
It sparked a more than two-day hunt for the patient, with officers eventually tracking him down in the territory's Mong Kok neighbourhood, where he was sent back to hospital.
His condition is said to be stable and a guard is watching over the isolation ward to stop any other escape attempts, the South China Morning Post reported.
Contact tracing has also begun to establish if the man was close to anyone during his brief time as a fugitive.
Anyone who escapes quarantine in Hong Kong could face a HK$5,000 (£480) fine and up to two months in jail.
There have been more than 8,000 cases of COVID-19 confirmed so far in Hong Kong, along with 130 deaths.
Latest Stories
-
EPA to probe seizure of over 200 suspected galamsey machines at Tema port
23 seconds -
Ghana–Russia Center, Kuban Agrarian University seal deal to advance agricultural innovation
19 minutes -
Mahama opens maiden Tree Crop Investment Summit, pushes value addition and jobs
20 minutes -
Police recover five assault rifles after Bono shootout, one suspect killed
32 minutes -
Nana B slams Special Prosecutor over presidential primaries investigations
45 minutes -
The ‘Ghana Must Go’ bag of integrity: 3 police officers return GH₵85k
46 minutes -
Ghana must help Burkina Faso tackle terror threat – Expert says
48 minutes -
Police return GH¢85,000 found on Techiman–Kumasi highway to owner
50 minutes -
NSA assures service personnel of prompt payment of outstanding allowances
53 minutes -
The Wahala Playbook: A quintessential guide to burying national scandals with internet gossip
1 hour -
Burkina Faso attack: Travel advisory insufficient, urgent security measures needed – Samuel Jinapor
1 hour -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Decision-Making Speed and Quality.
2 hours -
Emmanuel Bedzrah cuts sod for 17 educational infrastructure projects in Ho West
2 hours -
Samuel Jinapor calls for independent inquiry into Burkina Faso attack
2 hours -
Blend Festival wows audience at Polo Club Gardens
2 hours
