Audio By Carbonatix
The Deputy General Secretary of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) has said the party will contest the ban by the Ghana Police Service to restrain its members from organising further protests in Accra.
Peter Boamah Otokunor who was speaking on Joy FM’s Top Story Wednesday noted that no institution has the right to ban persons from demonstrating, thus, the move by the police is unfortunate.
“Nobody can ban anybody from exercising their right that has been bestowed on the citizens of Ghana by just issuing a statement and claiming that protesting has been banned.
"We all know that demonstration has been enshrined by law, therefore, nobody can prevent us from protesting, nobody can prevent us from expressing our displeasure on the wrongs and the injustice that is been perpetrated in this country.
“We do not know of any court restraining order and if we should receive it, we will contest that restraining order because the court and the police do not have the powers to prevent us from protesting and the law is clear,” he was categorical.
An Accra High Court on Wednesday granted a request by the Ghana Police Service to restrain the National Democratic Congress (NDC) from organising further protests in Accra until January 10, 2021.
For nearly two weeks, supporters and sympathisers of the NDC have organised numerous street protests following the declaration of Nana Akufo-Addo as President-elect in the just-ended polls.
NDC presidential candidate, John Mahama described the EC’s verdict as fictionalised to favour the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP).
His position has since been backed strongly by NDC supporters who have hit the streets to demand that the announcement be overturned.
The NDC is also contesting the result of some parliamentary seats which it said its candidates won. So far, they have bagged Sene West and have now turned their attention to Techiman South.
But in a statement signed by the Command’s Public Relations Officer (PRO) Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Effia Tenge, she urged the sympathisers of the party to refrain from engaging in activities that may go contrary to the court order.
This, Mr Otokunor says is illegitimate and the party will contest it to ensure that the right thing is done.
“With what they are doing, this is a very shameful period in our democracy. This is a very dark period that we should never experience unfortunately, we have a so-called Human Rights lawyer as President and he is perpetrating all these acts.”
Latest Stories
-
Ghana Sports Fund engages stakeholders on revenue mobilisation, transparency and sustainable sports financing
14 seconds -
Albert Bondah named Media & PR Manager for 2026 Ghana Comedy AwardsÂ
5 minutes -
NPP questions Circuit Court 9 ruling in Abronye DC case
6 minutes -
Artificial Intelligence researcher urges responsible AI use at high-level United Nations Forum
9 minutes -
Augustine Boakye to miss Black Stars friendly against Mexico
13 minutes -
Zoomlion Kenya begins major transformation of Nairobi waste management system
15 minutes -
NPP calls on diplomatic community to protect freedoms, end political prosecutions in Ghana
40 minutes -
NPP Youth Organiser warns of ‘ungovernable’ response over alleged harassment of members
44 minutes -
Climate change: Africa must move adaptation from promises to action – AGN Chair urges
45 minutes -
Traders raise fresh concerns over stalled Takoradi Market Circle redevelopment project
1 hour -
Lovebirds in NDC politics? Dafeamekpor’s birthday message to Ebi Bright sets social media ablaze
1 hour -
NPP petitions diplomatic community over alleged political persecution and democratic backsliding
1 hour -
Multimedia Group ramps up planning for 2026 Hitz FM ReP Ur Jersey experience
1 hour -
Rent Control Department freezes student hostel fee increases for 2026/2027 academic year
1 hour -
World Aquatics warns Ghana Sports Ministry over interference in Swimming Federation
2 hours