Audio By Carbonatix
An economist at the University of Ghana Business School (UGBS), Prof Lord Mensah, says it is not necessary for the Vice President to blame the erstwhile Mahama administration for the country's economic woes.
According to him, he does not see the need for Dr Mahamudu Bawumia to travel back into the years and accuse past regimes for the difficulties confronting the citizens.
Speaking in an interview with Kojo Yankson on the Super Morning Show on Friday, Prof Mensah explained that when a new government assumes power, it automatically inherits the assets and liabilities of its predecessor.
In this regard, he stated that good economic managers are expected to convert the liabilities they inherit to profits, and therefore, Dr Bawumia must stop making reference to the faults of the NDC.
"As an economic manager, you should know that before you take over, you're coming to inherit liabilities and assets. You cannot just parade only the liabilities and indicate that this is what you inherited and therefore without it, you could have been better. What about the resources that you had? What did you use them for?", Professor Lord Mensah quizzed.
He continued: "There's a reason why we have four years political cycle. So if within the four years, you cannot turn around things. I don't think it's not necessary to go back in years. I don't think Ghanaians will be better of with these kind of references and statements coming from our economic managers".
In his explanations, Professor Lord Mensah further emphasised that, "as an economic manager, you inherit both liabilities and assets and how you appreciate liabilities that you inherit and convert them to assets for the benefit of the country is a gauge for your performance".
"So the reference to those two things are not necessary anyway. Not at this time. We've gone far. I mean we are far deeper into the years. [After] six years of handling the economy, I don't think we need to make reference to this", he added.
The comments by Prof Lord Mensah were in reaction to an earlier assertion by the Vice President on Thursday, where he stated that Ghana's current economic challenges are partially due to the ills of the NDC.
According to him, the prevailing difficulties can be attributed to the “quadruple whammy” the government faces – excess capacity payments, banking sector crisis, Covid-19 and the Russia-Ukraine war.
He said two of the four factors, the excess capacity payments and the banking sector crisis, were inherited from the previous administration. He made this statement in a speech at the Accra Business School.
The comments by the President have so far generated mixed reactions, with a section of the populace lambasting the Vice President for failing to take responsibility for the country's problems.
According to the critics, it is distasteful for the Veep to rope in former President Mahama, and blame the NDC for Ghana's return to the IMF.
Amidst the widespread backlash, the Founding President of IMANI Centre for Policy and Education, Franklin Cudjoe has advised the Vice President to desist from blaming the NDC for the present crisis.
According to him, such a move is not prudent.
"My dear Veep, please leave the NDC out of the major reasons for the return to the IMF. It is politically and economically not prudent. A play back of your own tapes while in opposition will help reset this loud misconception", he tweeted on Thursday.
My dear Veep, please leave the NDC out of the major reasons for the return to the IMF. It is politically and economically not prudent. A play back of your own tapes while in opposition will help reset this loud misconception.
— Franklin CUDJOE (@lordcudjoe) July 14, 2022
Meanwhile, JoyNews is learning that the earliest the International Monetary Fund can take a decision on whether to give Ghana a deal will be in the first quarter of 2023.
A source within the Finance Committee told JoyNews’ Parliamentary Correspondent, Kwaku Asante, that the Fund is seriously concerned about the debt position and will undertake a debt sustainability analysis before agreeing on a deal with government.
Latest Stories
-
Venus Williams given US Open singles wildcard – will Serena join her?
1 hour -
Premier League to publish verdicts on referee and VAR decisions
1 hour -
The 10.94 Cedi to 1 USD Paradox: Macroeconomic triumph, the import subsidy trap, and the threat to youth employment
1 hour -
Fifa sacking ‘deeply troubling’ – Uefa executive
1 hour -
Bezos consortium bought almost 40% of Liverpool
1 hour -
Kane set to begin talks over new Bayern contract
2 hours -
Aston Villa agree deal for West Ham’s Wan-Bissaka
2 hours -
GoldBod’s real cost to Ghana far higher than reported losses – Bokpin
2 hours -
Trump pauses new tariffs on Canada and says countries close to a deal
2 hours -
Camilla admits it was ‘difficult’ to keep King Charles’ cancer diagnosis a secret
2 hours -
Governed differently: The political economy of state absence in Africa
3 hours -
Boakye Agyarko vows to rebuild NPP as over 50 constituency chairpersons back his chairmanship bid
3 hours -
APL poll puts Bawumia ahead of seven potential NDC contenders
3 hours -
Character, jobs and cost of living: APL poll shows what voters will use to decide 2028 election
4 hours -
Due process is not a technicality – Jinapor slams govt over Alima Mahama audit row
4 hours