Audio By Carbonatix
A man has been sentenced to life in prison for the rape of a nine-year-old Ohio girl in a case that made headlines after the victim had to travel to another US state for an abortion.
Gerson Fuentes, 28, pleaded guilty to two felony counts of rape in last year's attack.
The child went to Indiana to terminate the pregnancy after her home state restricted access to the procedure.
It happened after the US Supreme Court overturned abortion rights.
Prosecutors noted that they could not find any evidence that Fuentes, a Guatemalan national, was in the US legally.
He will only be able to apply for parole after 25 years and could be deported. He will be required to register as a sex offender.
"Anybody who has ever been in this courtroom for the last 20 years knows how this court feels about babies, young people being violated," Franklin County Judge Julie Lynch said at Wednesday's sentencing.
Fuentes had confessed in an interview with police to raping the child twice, according to court documents. DNA testing of the aborted foetus confirmed he was the father.
Referred by a child abuse doctor in Ohio, the victim visited a clinic in Indianapolis, Indiana, to have an abortion on 30 June when she was six weeks and three days pregnant, according to the Indianapolis Star newspaper.
The girl, who turned 10 before the procedure, had to cross state lines as Ohio had outlawed abortions after six weeks, with no exceptions for victims of rape or incest.
Legislators acted to restrict access to abortion hours after the Supreme Court repealed the landmark 1973 Roe v Wade ruling, which guaranteed women the right to terminate pregnancies.
The doctor who carried out the girl's abortion was fined $3,000 (£2,400) in May by Indiana officials for violating her patient's privacy by speaking to media about the case.
The Indiana Medical Licensing Board, however, did not suspend Dr Caitlin Bernard's licence.
Latest Stories
-
Exhibitors showcase housing solutions at JoyNews Republic Bank Habitat Fair in Achimota Mall
54 seconds -
Dr. Bawumia reiterates call for inclusion and unity at meeting with new Savannah and Western regional NPP executives
6 minutes -
I’ll consider review — Oppong Nkrumah hints at next move after Supreme Court dismisses injunction
30 minutes -
Bodies of two hikers missing for decades found after Swiss glacier melts
46 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: North East Region denied one-eighth stage as Kumasi High kicks out Nalerigu
50 minutes -
Useless Column: ‘Weytin do Akosua?’
54 minutes -
Context Matters: Understanding the Tony Elumelu First-Name Debate – Afanyi Dadzie writes
57 minutes -
Microwaving is safe, but minimise aluminium foil use – Food Scientist advices
1 hour -
Supreme Court clears way for legal vacation criminal trials, dismisses Oppong Nkrumah’s injunction bid
1 hour -
Restaurant portions, surplus food worsening Ghana’s food waste problem — Food Scientist
1 hour -
NPP extends 2026 National Officers Elections filing deadline to August 29
2 hours -
NDC has not shown it can manage power sector effectively — Fiifi Boafo
2 hours -
Ghana secured US$2.6bn FDIs in 2025 – GIPC Report
2 hours -
GRIDCo restores power nationwide after August 20 blackout, says grid strengthening measures ongoing
2 hours -
Journalism must prioritise public interest over attention — Kwesi Pratt
2 hours